Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard and mouse dont work upon start up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 recklessabandon

recklessabandon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

I have a xp pavilion xt963 that ived had since the end of 2001 and im running windows xp pro.It boots up to the start screen but i cant use my mouse or my keyboard at all.Im thinking that it might be a bios problem since none of the keys flash when the computers going through its start up.Im not sure of the motherboard type,but im using an intel 810e chipset and a 1.2 ghz celeron.my bios version is phoenix 4.0 release 6 and my motherboard has two small jumpers close to the battery.any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:14 PM

Have you tried replugging your keyboard and mouse in? Are you sure you have the mouse plugged into the mouse port and not the mouse into the keyboard and vice-versa?

#3 recklessabandon

recklessabandon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:13 PM

no,im sure everything is plugged in correctly.i even tried using another keyboard that i know worked and that didnt work either.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:05 AM

Do you have a windows cd? If so try booting off of that and seeing f the keyboard works in the setup program (dont actually set up anything. just testing the keyboard)

#5 recklessabandon

recklessabandon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:42 AM

well its me, reckless again and i have recently discovered that it is only the ps2 ports on my computer that are not working properly.If i use a usb mouse and keyboard,then everything works fine.Any solution to getting my other ports to work?

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:06 AM

Just a guess - in the BIOS there should be a setting for USB keyboard (mine is under 'Integrated Peripherals') and maybe that disables the PS/2 ports?

Edited by Rimmer, 02 May 2005 - 03:23 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 02:30 AM

Dear Reckless,

Rimmer is right. There seems to be virus/program floating around that disables the PS/2 ports.

You are the second I have heard the same from. Check the BIOS to see if you have the parallel ports or PS/2 enabled.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#8 ryobreak

ryobreak

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:36 PM

I have the same exact error, and had to resolve going to www.bootdisc.com to have the windows xp cd automatically load, since my keyboard/mouse was disabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users