Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using "save Target As" In Xp Does Not Bring Up Download Dialog

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 draven

draven

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:44 AM

when I right click on a download link and choose "Save Target As" the normal XP download dialog box does not come up, instead the old looking Windows 98 dialog box pops up.

How can i get the the normal XP download dialog box?

Also, when i one-click audio and video links through IE, they launch through WMP, i want the XP download box instead, how do i get that to work?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

<<Also, when i one-click audio and video links through IE, they launch through WMP, i want the XP download box instead, how do i get that to work?>>

Those links open via WMP...because you currently have your system set up with WMP as the default program for hearing/viewing those particular file extensions (whatever they may be).

If you browse to a known file format and XP has a program depicted as the default for that particular file extension, then the stated program will be used for opening, etc. that type of file. This is done for the sake of saving time, so that users don't have to select a program to open the same type of file...each time that file extension is encountered.

<<...i want the XP download box instead, how do i get that to work?>>

I guess that I don't know what you mean. Do you mean that you want to attempt to save these files to your hard drive?

Louis

#3 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

is the program you are using to download have themes disabled? (under compatibility) that might make it look like W98.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users