Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP / R.A.M. conflict

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 coffee

coffee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:14 PM

Hello
I have bought extea RAM for my computer. After installing it the BIOS recognizes the new ram and incorporates it in the memory test but Windows XP will not start up. When I remove the neww memory everthing works fine. Can someone help me?
Thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:53 PM

Hi Coffee,

A few questions....

Did you verify that the memory you bought was designed for your computer?

Did the new memory work if you took the old memory out?

Did you receive and beep codes, error messages, flashing lights when booting the computer?

Did XP do anything??? Did the XP splash screen appear???

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

Download and run Everest Home Edition, freeware that is the successor to AIDA 32 which will tell you about everything installed in your computer - both hardware and software.

Look and see if the memory that came with the computer is the exact same spec as what you bought to add.

#4 coffee

coffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:22 PM

Hey Rigel
I wll answer your questione in order;
I have an asus cuv 266 my memory is DDR PC2100 266 MHz 512MB
Windows won't start up if I use only the new memory
There were no beep codes error messages or flashing lights
XP starts to load then the system restarts and i end up at a page that gives me the option to start windows in safe mode
This is very strange for me
Thanks for your help

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:32 PM

I checked to see if the board will support a 512 MB 266 Mhz DDR 2100 memory stick... and it will.

If you go ahead into safe mode, what does it do?

Take a look inside the CMOS setup of the computer. I think on all ASUS boards you have to press the delete key as it first starts. Check in there and see if the memory is being displayed correctly and if all looks well.

Thinking out load... if the old memory boots ok, and it starts XP and then has a problem, the memory may be bad when it loads to a certain point.

Have any other memory to test with?

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users