Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compressing Mp3's ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sadieebaby

sadieebaby

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

Is it possible to compress an mp3 file to make room for more songs on a blank audio disc?
If it is possible, how could I do this? I'd appreciate if someone could tell me how :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:20 AM

Hi sadieebaby, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Check out this tutorial, it looks comprehensive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:12 AM

There are loads of free file converters available. If you can copy the songs (worth doing while you are experimenting with different formats/compression levels) then you can probably find one that allows you to push the compression further without losing sound quality to a really noticeable extent. It really depends how important quality vs storage is to you.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:49 AM

What bitrate are the current mp3s? As has been said, reducing the size of files will reduce their sound quality. I use 192kbps on my CDs, this typically allows me to fit around 9 CD's per disk. If I was so concerned for space or cost of CDs I could reduce that to 128kbps, but for music I would not go below that, nor use 22khz sample rate as per the tutorial. If it is for spoken word (eg electronic book), then using 22khz sample rate, 64k bitrate or mono format could be adequate and would further reduce filesize.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 sadieebaby

sadieebaby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:11 PM

What bitrate are the current mp3s? As has been said, reducing the size of files will reduce their sound quality. I use 192kbps on my CDs, this typically allows me to fit around 9 CD's per disk. If I was so concerned for space or cost of CDs I could reduce that to 128kbps, but for music I would not go below that, nor use 22khz sample rate as per the tutorial. If it is for spoken word (eg electronic book), then using 22khz sample rate, 64k bitrate or mono format could be adequate and would further reduce filesize.

How do I find out how many bitrates the mp3s are?

#6 Korpse

Korpse

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

What are you using to play the mp3s? Most players will show what bitrate the mp3s are - look for something like 128kbps or 192kbps (most common)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users