Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So, The Sound Suddenly Stops

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fuddamukka333665

fuddamukka333665

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

I'm forced to use an IBM ThinkPad 600 that was made for Windows NT and 98, but was recently updated with XP Pro. It's good enough, as of now, but my one issue with it is that sound playback is crap and when you want to watch a video on, say, YouTube, you barely can because the video skips and the sound plays ahead of what is shown on the video. And when I'm listening to an mp3, the song will warp and sound distorted for a millisecond every 30 seconds or so. Doesn't sound like much, but it gets annoying.

I finally came here because I need to find a solution to this. I went on YouTube today to watch some videos, but I couldn't because I couldn't hear anything. I tried checking the volume on the laptop, but an error message came up saying, "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close." I've tried it. Don't know what to do further than clicking on Add Hardware. This has never happened before, so why is it happening now?

I've tried using System Restore. I thought it worked at first, but that was before I realized that I can still hear sound on the laptop, but I just can't hear sound from programs. I guess this happened overnight because this wasn't happening previously. What could be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:21 AM

I would try installing this. Works for me.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 fuddamukka333665

fuddamukka333665
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

That error message still pops up for some reason. I still can't hear sound while I'm on Firefox either.

Edited by fuddamukka333665, 04 August 2008 - 10:24 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

You could try reinstalling the XP sound driver for your Thinkpad. I remember the old Thinkpad I had, came with Win 2000. To upgrade to XP, IBM recommended a BIOS flash to have everything to work properly
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 fuddamukka333665

fuddamukka333665
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:50 AM

Is that why I can't control the volume?

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

Is that why I can't control the volume?

Is the sound icon in the system tray and you just can't control it? This is the original driver

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...cid=BBOD-3HJLJB

They do not list XP drivers for a 600. After a lot of reading (there's a lot of it) they would have been better off to have left it alone

Edited by garmanma, 05 August 2008 - 10:43 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 fuddamukka333665

fuddamukka333665
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

Do I download that? Excuse me if that sounds stupid.

When I click Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control Panel, in the Volume tab, it says "No Audio Device" next to the little picture of the speaker. Under the Audio tab, the default device for sound playback is "Modem #0 Line Playback." And under the Hardware tab, these are all the devices listed:

LG CD-ROM CRN-8241B
Crystal WDM Audio Codec
Crystal WDM Game Port
Crystal WDM MPU-401 Compatible
Crystal WDM Audio Contol Register
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Media Control Devices
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Video Codecs

The sound icon is not in the system tray anymore. After the error message, it went away.

I think I should mention that I'm using XP Pro. If I do have to download that, is it safe to download something for NT if I use XP Pro?

Edited by fuddamukka333665, 05 August 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:59 PM

The only thing it will do is not work. Which is what you have now, so it's worth a try. Like I said a Thimkpad 600 was not made for XP.

Edited by garmanma, 05 August 2008 - 04:03 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#9 fuddamukka333665

fuddamukka333665
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:46 PM

Well, I guess I'll have to put up with what I have now. It didn't work. At least, I don't think it did. I downloaded it and checked the folder it created and tried to open the program in it. Nothing happened.

What I don't understand is, I can hear my songs on Windows Media Player, but I can't hear sound on Firefox or certain other programs. I was playing a game and I could hear the sounds perfectly. But then I tried using this translation program I have, and error messages kept popping up when a sound wanted to play. In addition to that, I can't control the volume. What's the deal?

Edited by fuddamukka333665, 05 August 2008 - 11:47 PM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:29 AM

Did you try the codecs rowal555 linked to?
Mark
Posted Image

#11 fuddamukka333665

fuddamukka333665
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:21 AM

Yep.

#12 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:41 AM

I have to say that I have no idea if the following will help you, but it is worth a try.

Start/All Programs/KLite Codec Pack/Tools/Codec Tweak Tool. Check the boxes under FIX, and see what happens.

(I am assuming that you have been to Sound Controllers in Device Manager to see that there are no yellow marks there, indicating that a driver may be required).

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users