Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hdd Not Recognized: Any Ideas/advice?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fignozzle

fignozzle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

Hey y'all from the Scorching South! :huh:

I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 6B080P0 80G HDD which I am trying to use in a Moving Star External Drive enclosure.

My Dell laptop running WinXP SP2 does not see it. It does not show up in DevMgr, and shows up as "unrecognized device" when plugged in to an old USB 1.0 slot, saying "click here to fix". Do so, and it says "unrecognized USB device."

I also have a 4-slot USB 2.0 Card plugged into my PCMCIA slot, and it doesn't show up at all when plugged in there. Card works great with flash drives, External DVD Burner.

I'm not sure if this issue is with WinXP SP2, a USB issue, or what "link" in the "chain" is the weak one.

Edited to Add:
Here's what I've done so far: Plugged the HDD into another laptop (Win2k) to see if it'd work. Not automatically! In DevMgr, I see " Maxtor 6 B080P0 USB Device", says it's working properly but does not show under Win Explorer.

I also have moved the jumper to Master, Slave, and "Open", but no joy.

All help is hugely appreciated! :thumbsup:
Any ideas, anyone? Even where to start process of elimination?

Edited by fignozzle, 03 August 2008 - 08:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:58 PM

Is this a new hdd?

If it is new, did you format and partition the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 fignozzle

fignozzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

Is this a new hdd?

If it is new, did you format and partition the hdd?

As silly as this may seem, no, I did not do either and yes, this IS a new HDD.
So to continue my show of stupidity, is there a way to do this without installing it in a desktop PC somewhere?

Sorry for the ignorance, it's just new ground for me...
Can you advise?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:00 PM

Since it's unpartitioned, it won't show up as a useable drive in My Computer/Explorer until it's formatted :thumbsup:.

But it should show up in Disk Management. You can format it (and/or initialize it) by just right-clicking on it in Disk Management...clicking on the Format option.

More detailed explanation: http://www.xpmaximized.com/archives/xp-usb...ve-format-.html

Louis

#5 Dark-Myth

Dark-Myth

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:12 AM

Quick way:
Right click My Cpmputer, click on manage, disk management, find ur drive, should be Drive 1 or Drive 2, right click..format(as NTFS)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users