Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Svchost

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tipicreeper

tipicreeper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

Hello everyone,
This is my fist post & hoping for some guidance by gurus.

I have built my own media computer that is storing all my music, pics & videos.
There is noting special about this system. Meaning no super hardware, XP Media Center with an AMD Dual core processor & board, SB Live sound card, ATI Video Card, 1TB of music storage, 1TB video storage, 750 mb pic storage and 500mb of OS & program area.

I tried to make strides to minimize the programs put on this machine as I just want to send the video to my TV and music to my stereo.

The problem I seem to have is: there is a program or programs accessing one of the instances of svchost.exe that momentarily sucks all the PCU and makes WMP skip.

This is frustrating. If I disable that particular instance of svchost with task manager, every thing is fine. Of course after I do that, I loose my network connections and if I stop WMP then I have to reboot to get the system back to “normal”.

So, I have come to the experts. Is there a way to determine what program is phoning home and screwing up the works? Then can it be disabled without making a mess out of the rest?

So, everyone knows a little about my background. I am not a complete computer novice but, I am far from Nick Burns (your company’s computer guy).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank You,
-David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

Try using Process Explorer to see what is using svchost.exe when this problem occurs. In Process Explorer right-click on svchost.exe, select properties and then click the Threads tab. See if you can identify the filename for the thread that is using high CPU.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tipicreeper

tipicreeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:55 PM

Thank You Budapest,
I will download Process Explorer & try tonight.

#4 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:16 PM

DHCP service is svchost.exe. Maybe its that one (I need it for internet). Also, have you tried just turning on WMP and letting it spike for a while? maybe its trying to update or something. Also, spyware might be attacking you, run a scan. Have you tried disabling themes? that could be a factor.
Posted Image

#5 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

Not to alarm you , but some viruses disguise themselves with that name or similar.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

Not to alarm you , but some viruses disguise themselves with that name or similar.

Yes, they do but its not the greatest idea to jump to the conclusion that it is a virus, as is svchost.exe is also an important windows file. So if we go about deleting that, disaster may strike.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users