I started experiencing problems last week and they have increased as the days go by. Here are just some of the symptoms:
* Windows Automatic Updates will not stay on
* I cannot start the computer in safe mode - I get a series of numbers and then the system freezes
* Firefox stopped opening. I uninstalled and redownloaded, but it did not help
* At least once a day IE stops allowing me to go to certain websites, including Hotmail, bleepingcomputer, and the google results pages
* Random windows popup with advertisements
I have run spybot and it gives 7 instances of Virtumonde. Apparently it cleans it. I reboot. I'm good for a few hours (if that), then theproblems start again.
I called some local computer shops and without hearing any of the details, they all said I needed to bring the computer in to have Windows reinstalled. They also said that I would lose all programs that I don't have the original disk for.
I am hoping that somebody here can help me.
I downloaded Hijackthis today and ran a log. Here are the results:
(edited because I read I was not supposed to post this here)
Edited by iknowalittlebit, 03 August 2008 - 04:33 PM.