Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Exe Files Wont Run

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kruniac

Kruniac

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hey guys. I woke up a few days ago to find that none of my (or rather MOST of my) .exe files work. I get no error message when I try to run a program, I simply get a hourglass mouse pointer thing for a second, followed by nothing happening at all.

Certain executables (mostly belonging to older games) will function, as will Notepad.exe. Wordpad, HJT, and almost every other single executable will not run at all.

Netscape obviously works, but thats due to me using the shortcut on my Start menu. None of my Control Panel options work either.

I've tried downloading and applying the Windows XP .exe file association fix with no luck. When I boot the computer, after selecting my Windows Profile, explorer.exe doesnt run, and I have to CTRL+Alt+Delete and run explorer.exe manually to run it.

The really bad thing is that I cant run Adaware, HJT, or anything else that might help, including installation files.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2. Help guys. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Axephilic

Axephilic

MRU Graduate

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

Try running HijackThis but change the file extension from .exe to .com and see if that works. :thumbsup:
Proud to be a Graduate of Malware Removal University - I am a member of:
Posted Image Posted Image

If I helped you, please consider a donation: Posted Image

#3 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

if you can run ie, try running a live scan, from windows live.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users