Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switched Case, But Now Computer's Broken

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tijano

tijano

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

Hi, I'm new here.

I admit, I am the problem (as is usual, eh?), but let me tell you what happened.

I bought a computer from Craigslist for 125 dollars. It was great. It smelled like smoke. I bought a new case, switched it out, and it was the best thing ever.

However, I went to on to donate my case for various reasons, and I bought a smaller one because I thought it would be cool to hide my computer under my bed. (yes, I realize I'm retarded, but in my defense, it would have been cool!)

So, now, I put it back together, and there is no picture on my monitor. Here's what I've ruled out:

It's not:

the monitor (worked for another computer)
the graphic card (I swapped that out too, still nothing)
the power supply (swapped it out too, they're the same wattage)

Now, I've tried taking out all the RAM, save one, still nothing. All the fans works, I don't know about the lights (I also thought it would be cool to spray paint the case... err), and there is no sound, which I made sure to connect.

I followed the ASUS P4P-800VM motherboard manual instructions down to the dot, and STILL NOTHING.
Side note about the audio: There were a few options, "Internal Audio Connectors" which were: CD1 and AUX1 (which were both too far from the wire to connect), a Digital Audio connector (also too far), and the "System panel Connectors", where all the Power/Reset switches etc. reside. This is where I connected mine.

I can't believe I did this before. I'm so embarrassed.

Suggestions? Please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:09 PM

Does the computer do anything? Fans spin up, lights come on, any beeps? Is the case new or a gently used one that could have a bad switch.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:53 PM

Is it possible that, during the switch, an internal component was hit by an electrical shock or otherwise damaged? If the individual components are currently working, the motherboard could have been damaged.

3939.png

#4 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:35 AM

You can try clearing the cmos and also taking out the bios battery and leave the battery out for about 10min. Put the bios battery back on and see if you can get the computer to boot.

Also you can try taking out all of the computer parts again and this time, only re-seat the following parts: power supply, motherboard, cpu, one stick of ram, and the videocard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users