Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Sp2 Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

Hey Folks, I have tried everything under the sun to fix/solve this problem.Talked to my ISP,Gateway,E-MachinesLinksys,others, you name it.I have DSL, a linksys Router, and a Embarq 660 series Modem .My wife's computer is working 100 % fine.Hers is using a Linksys wireless adapter coming from my router unwired about 35 feet away.O.K. my computer shows it's getting a Local area connection at 100 MBps like it normally does.Real player,Registry fix, and some programs do o.k. I had to reinstall my Shield Deluxe 2008 because the threat signatures could not/would not update and now it will not activate because I cannot reactivate it.When I put my key in or even the trial version it says: "error sending activiation server request":Likely problems :connection problems or temporary problems on activation server".Try again in 1-2 hours.I can assure you it's not a temporary problem.It has said this since yesterday.So it cannot update itself.O.K. When I open up Firefox 2.0.0 16 it says:Firefox cannot find the Server at www.embarq.com I already tried disabling the firewall.No luck.Made sure all needed things are on the execeptions list.Winsock has been reset.I.E. 7.0 say it cannot display the webpage .Possibble causes:no internet connection,typing error, or website could be having problems.When command prompt is open and I type in IP config it gives a private address with a automation IP Number of 169.534..,.. Ihat I am told is what the cpmputer will give automatically when it cannot renew the IP Address.I put a new ethernet cord on .No luck.Rebooted and reset modem and router.No luck.Let me tell you a funny one.When I try to do a system restor and hit "run as" when I open instead of just "open" it says I do not have sufficient privlidges to perform this operation contact my systems administrator.I can open up Internet tools and under the general tab it has the box where you put in your home page, it is filled in correctly but while being dimly lit and I cannot change it.At the bottom a yellow highlighted sentence underlined in black sentence says "Some settings are controlled by your Systems Administrator".??? I tried to go into MY Account the other day it said I did not had sufficient access to perform this operation contact your systems administrtor.It never did any if the above three before and does not on my wife's computer on her side or mine.My ISP happily told me the sysytems administrator meant myself.Folks I have not a clue on how to put sentences highlighted in yellow on my computer.For years my wife and I have ALWAYS had FULL ADMINISTATOR privildges.This ISP tech support rep. from EMBARQ guaranteed 100% the problem was because I did not have FULL ADMINISTARTIVE privlidges.She said they had "nothing to do with any of the access denial,etc,but they could view all e-mail, and insisted on calling E-Machines so they could change it for me".I asked for her name and she would not give it to me going ahead and transferring me to E-Machines ??? Well E-machines if it was said Guess ? I had Full Admininstartive privlidges.The next Embarq Rep. guarantees me I have a bad ethernet card. Guarantees it ! Sounds logical maybe.But why when I open up sysytem restore and user accounts why do I get the headings on the blue border at the top that says systems.restore. and user accounts it shows the icon showing two individuals even the forward and backward buttons.But guess what is inside the two boxes ? 0,zilch,nothing ! Is that an Ethernet card problem to ? Should I order me a ethernet card ? Is there even a REMOTE chance somebody is giving me these access denial messages or (should I contact myself ? ) ,or lying to me about who the sysytems administrtor is and tha the administative privlidges were changed.Only my wife and I are home.Reckon one of our three cats did it ? Folks you are MOST welcome to come to my house and see this if you like.Thanks folks and I mean it.I appreciate all the honest opinions and help I can get.God Bless You and Thanks for your time and help in advance.Sincerely,Heartbeat85

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

I think that you might need to consider the possibility of being infected...before moving on to assumptions that you are not.

BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

#3 Heartbeat85

Heartbeat85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:30 PM

Do you honestly think a virus changed my ADMINSTATIVE PRIVLIDGES and is putting these access restrictions on me ? I have already heard that one along with many others.We''ll see HOW those privlidges were changed.I think that's not an assumption but a very good idea.Heartbeat85

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:43 PM

Malware has many immediate impacts and after-effects.

IMO, many of the problems that users report re access being denied...may stem from malware. To me, it only makes sense to eliminate/confirm malware as a problem...before expending any effort on other aspects of the system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users