Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clustering Computers....i Didn't Know What Cataogry To Put This In....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

SO I just built my system, and spent a good bit of money....it isn't top of teh line, but average for a computer these days....(AMAZING for what I use it for)....
Anyways....My father is getting a new PC for work, and he has the top of the line computer when he buys it, and it lasts him like 7 or 8 years...so this 7 or 8 year computer is average these days, and I asked if I could have it and he said it would be fine, but I dont want to just throw away my pc, or even use it as a backup....I would like to figure out a way how to cluster both of these PCs and then have the ability to continue adding more PCs on, but I still want to be able to run the basic operating systems....(XP home, Vista home, Ubuntu Linux) I don't want to have them all running server edition unless it is exactly the same, cause I am ok with computers but haven't even seen the server edition operating system in action, and barely know the gist of servers......

Please tell me the easiest most efficient ways of doing this....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

bump....pretty please.....

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:09 AM

I am really not sure what you are referring to when saying clustering. I would say your best bet would be to set one machine up as you Network storage machine and the other as a normal processing computer. Slower one for the Storage server. This is the only way I can think that you would be referring to.

To be honest though 1 computer is better that 2. I would be tempted just to upgrade the best one with bigger hard disk and more RAM and transfer all of the file from the other machine. This will save timne and effort in the long run not to mention power savings of not having to have 2 PC's on all of the time.
Posted Image

#4 ph7ryan

ph7ryan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

well...I saw some show on discovery channel that explained how it was too expensive to make a supercomputer to handle some kind of weather problem or something along those lines, so this guy designed a program that people could download, and it would link their computers power together, and in their benefit, everyone who had the program could do everything it was meant to do...In turn he built the worlds largest super computer, totaling with over 5 million computers all over the world....

So I researched how to do this, and I saw that it was called clustering computers....I know windows server 2003 has compatibility with this, but i have never tried it, so I would be going in blindfolded...Wikipedia has a page about this and it shows Nasa's cluster...all it is, is combining all the power of all the computers for one output

The discovery channel program had to do with alien signals coming in from outer space now that I remember....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users