Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aadster

aadster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

I have an Acer Laptop, fairly new (within a year), and it's running Windows Vista Home Premium. I also have upgraded the RAM to 2GB, and it's been working great. Recently, the mouse and keyboard have been lagging, and it seems to run slow and choppy. I've scanned with several anti virus and anti malware programs, and I know my PC is clean.

Also, when the battery is in, it runs off it, but says there is no battery detected, and when the AC power is plugged in, it doesn't act like it is charging the battery. I'm thinking it could be a defective battery, and when I take the battery out and use AC power, it seems to run normal (half of the time, not all the time.)

Also, when i shut the laptop down, it takes longer than usual, and the POWER LED light stays on, even after it is turned off. (sometimes it does that)

And help would be appreciated

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hitmangold

hitmangold

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:42 AM

Hi addster,

Try disabling the backgroung applications on the notebook. Also try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Coming to the battery issue, on the laptops the manufacturesrs will provide you a tool which checks the battery health. Run this tool to get the results. If it says defective and replace then you have toconect Acer support.

Coming to boot issue, disable the startup applications which are starting with the windows. Just leave antivirus application in startup items and disable all other items.

#3 Davy49

Davy49

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:42 AM

Hi aadster,
I also own an acer laptop (#5100-3357)...as far as what you mentioned about the led, " and the POWER LED light stays on, even after it is turned off,(sometimes it does that) ", is that when you still have the battery pack installed ? I know on my acer, if the battery pack is left in, and I turn off the laptop, a little green led remains on, I think that's how it's designed to perform. I don't know if you have already visited acers support site, but there is a LOT of valuable information available there...just like here ! I'm enclosing a link to it ...just in case:
http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acer/bin/acer.html#

Your laptop probably came pre-installed with a bunch of software like mine..among them is what acer calls: " Empowering Technology ", I know in that group of the features is about the 'power' aspect of your system. If installed....you might wish to check that out.

I truly hope the moderators don't mind me doing so, I'm just trying to help ! :huh:
I hope I've been of some help to you..sometimes small problems can really be aggravating...can't they !

Good luck !!
David :huh:

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

hi,,, i dont know about the led light,, but the eratic behaviour could be a over heating problem,,, laptops tend to suffer with lack of cooling,, ie small fans and lack of vents and where the laptop is placed when in use,,, ie on the lap,, or the arpet or on a beds quilt,,, get a can of compressed air and poke it in the vents and give it a blast out,,, shake the canwell before use and hold any fans with a pencil or a straw so the fan does not spin to bits,,,
download this program and check the temps
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php
also the more you have open and running the hotter everything gets,,, you can get a laptop cooler, that the pc sits on,,, these are prity usefull.
good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:18 PM

If it's less than a year old, I'd suggest you have it checked out by the place that you bought it from (or their service center) while it's still under warranty. This will let you get any hardware issues fixed under the warranty - and, presuming that the hardware is good, the rest of the problems will be with software (which we can deal with here).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users