Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Issues - Host Process For Windows Services Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 78Deac

78Deac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

I currently have Windows Vista 2006 with all current updates. I am having a problem when I start up my Dell E521 desktop computer as administrator. Sometimes when I turn the computer on I receive the following 2 messages:

"C:\Windows|system 32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is not unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

"Windows could not connect to the Group Policy Client Service. this prevents limited users from logging on the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond."

I close off these 2 messages and only the recycle bin appears on my desktop. So I shut down the computer and restart. I do not receive the 2 messages above and my desktop appears with all icons shown. However, the following message appears:

"Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available."

I have received no notification.

The above issues continue everytime I start up my computer.

The above issues started happening after I erased my son's account after he had managed to change his limited user account to an administrator account. Previously I was the only administrator account. After erasing his account I set up a new limited user account for him but when I attempted to place parental controls on the new account I would receive a message stating that the parental controls could not be applied.

I have run various malware/spyware/virus checks and found nothing.

I am obviously not someone who is very computer savvy but would appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 78Deac

78Deac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

As a followup to my post above, I checked my Event log and noticed the following errors appearing several times in the past 3 days since the problem started:

"The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not apply the registry-based policy settings for the Group Policy object LocalPro. Group Policy settings will not be resolved until this event is resolved. View the event details for morer information on the file name and path."

"IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI Slot 3, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance."

"The server {8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

Hopefully someone knows what these error events mean. Thanks for any help you can provide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users