Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 admin. account quirk?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 badmonkey

badmonkey

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:40 PM

Dear Bleeping Computer,

for some maintenance I upgraded my regular account to an admin account - so I then had two admin accounts. Once I was done I wanted to downgrade my regular account back to "limited". But when I went into the Account control panel and change the account back to limited I couldn't because I "need at least one account with admin. privileges" (paraphrasing). I got around this by going into the Administrative Tools, Computer Management and then adjusting the group membership of my regular account to only have "users" and not "administrators".

Just wondering why this was - no rush :thumbsup:

Windows XP Pro. SP2

Badmonkey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:08 PM

Are you positive at the time you were downgrading your account, the other account was in the administrators group?

#3 badmonkey

badmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:03 PM

I just checked to make sure - yes the other account is still in the administrators group (checked with Computer Manager and the account no longer appears on the Welcome screen). When I go into the User Accounts control panel it list both accounts as "Computer Administrator", but when I want to change the one account back it doesn't let me.

It doesn't really bother me, I am just curious as to why it does it, so if you are bored and don't have someone else to help (with a real problem)...

I always have strange stuff :thumbsup:

Badmonkey

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:04 AM

I am not sure to be honest unless XP wants a user account other than administrator as an administrator. That explanation sounds weird though

#5 badmonkey

badmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:33 PM

I just checked on some other machines that are running XP Pro. SP2 and there I don't have the "problem". Strange - perhaps I just haven't reinstalled the OS recently enough. Oh well, just curious.

Thanks
Badmonkey

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:38 PM

Whats the exact error message you get?

#7 badmonkey

badmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:31 AM

After going into User Accounts from the Control Panel I first upgrade my regular account to "Computer Administrator". Once I have done that I get placed back one screen where I can choose "Change name, Change the password...". I click on "Change the account type" (where I was a second ago to upgrade it to admin.). Once there the "Limited" option is grayed out, with the following text above:

"You must assign another user on this computer with a computer administrator account before you can change this user's account type. This ensures that there is always at least one user with a computer administrator account on this computer"

But I still have my regular admin. account still there (it even still displays the "Computer Administrator").

Could it be that I need to have the regular admin. account called "Administrator" - I really doubt that.

Thanks for your interest in this curiosity.

Badmonkey

Edited by badmonkey, 19 April 2005 - 12:32 AM.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:01 AM

Try it this way. Right click on my computer and click on manage computer. Then look at the local users and local groups and make sure you have an administrator user that is in the administrator group

#9 badmonkey

badmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

Just checked, my regular admin. account is part of the "Administrators" group.

Sorry,

Badmonkey

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:24 PM

You got me on this one :thumbsup:

#11 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:08 AM

Hi badmonkey,

I have some experience with user accounts so maybe I can help you. First let's back up a bit and make sure you understand how it works.

When you first install XP and load Windows you have to have an account to log into. XP Pro has the default Administrator account already created so you can do that. XP Home creates an account called Owner for this purpose and also creates an Administrator account but it's only accessable in Safe Mode. Note that these are the actual names of the accounts--"Administrator" and "Owner".

These initial accounts have to have administrator privelegdes so you can set up your own accounts as you want them. Most people who are the only users of the PC will rename
"Administrator" to something like "John". Or just leave the name "Administrator". A good practice is to create a limited user account, which you can name anything you like.

So I think your problem is a result of your changing account privledges in the first place. As that message says you have to have one account with administrator priveledges (it really sounds as tho you are trying to change both of your accounts to Limited). I'm not sure what the names of your accounts are--and if you have named both accounts "Administrator" that could be a problem in itself--but let's say your initial admin account is named "Administrator" and your secondary account is named "John". Leave "Administrator" with admin priviledges and then change the "John" account to Limited permissions. Use the limited John account for day to day mundane activities. When you need to do something that takes admin permissions, log out of the John account and then log into the "Administrator" account. Instead of changing the permissions of the account. User acconts are fairly delicate anyway and I wouldn't make any changes to them more than what is necessary. Especially your default "Administrator" account.

Hope that helps. Am I on the right track here?

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:58 PM

for some maintenance I upgraded my regular account to an admin account

What account did you use to attempt this - the administrator's account?

From what you have stated your other account would not have originally had the authority to change user permissions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users