Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Harddisk Driver Issues

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 daight

daight

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:41 AM

I have a Seagate Hard disk which is spoiled for few weeks,yesterday it have sent me the new hard disk

When i format the new hard disk,and i see the hard disk was hot,i switch off it,after i switch it on,it says 'no driver are installed'
and i cannot find the hard disk in disk management.

my hard disk is Seagate barracuda 7200.10 .

i cannot find the driver on their website too. i have tried email them about the driver problem.but they never replied me back.
does anyone know how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

The drivers for installing a hard disk directly to a desktop...are normally already installed.

Is this an external hard drive in a USB 2.0 case?

Did you get a CD with the drive?

Louis

#3 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:42 AM

Hi :thumbsup:
The Seagate Website says that it will install automatically,
But when i check it in device manager,it says 'no driver are installed'
Theres no CD with the drive.
They just send me a unformated hard disk.

Yes it is a external drive and the casing is USB 2.0 casing.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

OK :thumbsup:.

First, let's switch the drive off.

Next, connect the enclosure to the system, using one of the system USB ports.

Then, turn the drive on.

Ignore any messages that might flash...go to Start\Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter or the OK button.

Tell me what you see listed in the lower section of the window. I'd like each disk number (0, 1, etc.) and whatever appears in the long boxes to the right of the disk numbers.

Thanks.

Louis

#5 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

Disk 0
CD-ROM 0
CD-ROM 1

Before i have the problem,I can see Disk 1 but it is unallocated.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

That's fine.

Now...go to Device Manager (Start\Run...type devmgmt.msc, hit Enter)...and scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Are there any yellow markings for anything under USB Controllers?

Anyway...I want you to uninstall the driver for the PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller.

Then reboot and XP will reinstall that function.

If all goes well...good. If not, then it may be your onboard controller has malfunctioned/is damaged.

That could be overcome by just installing a PCI card for USB 2.0 capability, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815106505

FWIW: It's not uncommon for USB ports on motherboards to disappear or become flaky.

Louis

#7 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

There is no yellow marking.All under the USB controller is fine.
I have uninstalled the USB Enhanced Host Controller,reboot my computer.

I have tried to plug my Harddisk into my friend's laptop,and it still have the problem that said 'no driver are installed for this device'

And it doesnt have any yellow marking on the harddisk in the device manager too.

Is my new Harddisk spoiled again? :thumbsup:

Or does it have anything to do with the jumper setting?

My jumper setting is master/slave setting.

EDIT: Now it says 'this device is working properly' in the device manager,but when i go to the disk management,it will say 'connecting to logical disk manager service...' and 'still connecting...please wait.' and keep on repeating.

Edited by daight, 04 August 2008 - 12:57 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:51 PM

OK.

Go Start/Run and then type services.msc and then hit Enter or OK.

Scroll down to Logical Disk Manager. There are two listed on this system. The status column for each should be empty, while the Startup column should reflect "manual." Is that what you see?

If not, double-click on the service name...in the middle of the tab showing, there is Startup type and a window that should say "manual". Change the setting for this window to manual. Close all dialog boxes, close the services.

Go back to Disk Management and see if it reflects the drive properly.

Another thing...there is no such thing as a Master/Slave setting that I know anything about. It's either Master or it's Slave or it's C/S (Cable Select).

It's been a while since I used an external drive...but you need to try changing the jumper setting to Master. That's what I believe it should be.

Louis

#9 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:28 AM

Oops,sorry my bad.I see wrongly,it should be Master/Single drive...

Yes it should be master drive setting.

It is already 'manual' and the start up column it says 'started'.
I have tried restarting the service and went to the disk management and it still doesnt show the hard disk...

I don't know whether it is affecting the 'error' but my hard disk is making some sort of high pitch sound.

Edited by daight, 05 August 2008 - 03:29 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

OK :thumbsup:.

This should not be this hard...but it's a challenge :huh:.

Can you open the enclosure that the hard drive is in? I would like for you to physically remove the hard drive itself (which is just like the hard drive in your system) and attach it directly to the system (not using the USB enclosure).

But first I must know if you can actually easily open the USB enclosure.

Louis

#11 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

I brought the Enclosure and the Hard disk separately. So removing it wouldn't be hard.

I have tried sending them Email about this problem,after 1 week,they finally replied me and told me that i have to use the window XP installation CD to format it.

But isn't that for the main hard disk?Or External hard disk can use this method too?
Sorry I'm not so sure about this.

If i attached it directly to the system,do i need to change the jumper setting to Cable Select?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

To be useable in Windows...every hard drive must be formatted.

Some may come formatted already, others (most that I have seen) do not.

Formatting must take place before the drive can be recognized/used by any version of Windows. For an external drive, it can be done before the drive is placed inside the enclosure...or afterwards. It should make no difference, as long as it is done.

Most external hard drive enclosures have a preference for what jumper setting should be used. Do you have any documentation which indicates what the jumper setting should be...for your enclosure to work properly? If so, you need to read that carefully.

<<If i attached it directly to the system,do i need to change the jumper setting to Cable Select?>>

That depends...on whether your drives currently attached directly...have Cable Select settings...and what else is on the cable that you attach the drive to.

My suggestion is to:

a. Set the jumper for the drive to Cable Select.

b. With the system off, attach it as a single drive on the IDE cable which is currently used to connect your CD/DVD drive. If there are any other drives currently attached to that cable...temporarily remove both connectors to those drives.

c. Reboot and enter the BIOS...check that the BIOS now reflects the new drive as being attached. Save the settings in the BIOS before leaving (press F10).

d. When the system reboots, go to Disk Management and format the drive and give assign it a letter and name. Do not assign it a letter already assigned to any of your drives (C, D, etc.).

e. When formatting is done, turn the system off. Remove the drive you have now formatted...change the jumper setting to whatever it's supposed to be according to your enclosure's documentation...and put it in the external enclosure, connecting it properly. It should now be ready to use.

Louis

#13 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:49 AM

Sorry,
i was busy with something,so i didnt check the forum.

i have tried your method,and it works! :thumbsup:

But i have another problem now.

When i tried to copy files to my hard disk,it will say
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F:\. The data has been lost.This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection.please try to save this file elsewhere.

OR

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file F:\mft. The data has been lost.This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection.please try to save this file elsewhere.

and i don't know what's mft too. after it shows this error,my computer cannot see my hard disk again,until i restart my hard disk.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:25 AM

The drive jumper settings should be configured to "Master" mode for all 3.5" and 5.25" IDE/ATAPI drives.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 daight

daight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

Sorry for my minimum knowledge of computer stuff,i don't know whats 3.5" and 5.25" IDE/ATAPI drives. :thumbsup:

And when i said it have the error,i mean when i put my hard disk inside the external drive ( Master or single drive setting)
and use USB port to connect,then when i copy the file,it have the error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users