Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turns Off

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:11 AM

Hello, when ever I turn on my computer it always turned off right after it passes the bios screen. I'm trying to install Xp it boots off the cd and gets to the part where you choose the spot to install it then without me doing anything it turns off. It is fine when you are in the bios settings it never shuts off in the bios. Any Ideas?

History: Just replaced the DC Jack. Before that I have not used the computer for a year. Has vista installed on the hard drive because I was using it in another computer but I want to install xp on it. bios settings are default

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:54 AM

Does the hard drive still have Vista installed?
Have you tried formatting the hard drive with a 3rd party utility (to include deleting all the partitions and then recreating them)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:56 AM

I tried that but the computer just restarts at random points while installing the os or formatting ect.

Edited by PoweredByGoogle, 13 August 2008 - 03:27 AM.

#4 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:02 AM

You could also try updating your bios.
Gabisonfire - Habs all the way!

#5 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:29 AM

You cant install new bios for my computer from cd drive thats all it has

it stays on longer if you just sit in the bios but it still turns off

turns off if you try to install os or just try to boot with no os

im not able to install xp

tried with battery in and out.

any idea?

Edited by PoweredByGoogle, 13 August 2008 - 03:52 AM.

#6 sonictonic72

sonictonic72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:54 AM

hi sorry pbg I can't help ya, infact looking for some help with same sort of thing!

My Friend is running xp and for a while now the computer has been super slow but for some reason now likes to turn its self off, now it will do it after about 4 mins of being on line! She has also noticed that it only happens on her side of the computer (she has a sign in for herself and one for her daughter) she can browse with no problems on her daughters sign in. Why is this? and what can I do to fix it. I should point out I'm just your avarage Jo so I might get lost with big words!! :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:57 AM

For original poster:

You can download a utility from the hard drive manufacturer...do a low-level format (which will eliminate anything on the hard drive)...then reboot and try to do the XP install.

You can open the system and look at the hard drive installed to see which manufacturer applies.

My guess would be that your file system is messed up.

I would do all of these things with the laptop plugged in.

Louis

#8 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

Or you can still update your bios using a usb drive. I did myself but you have to look if your board accepts flashing using usb drive.
Gabisonfire - Habs all the way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users