Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think I Might Be Infected But Im Not Sure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Solanelli

Solanelli

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:30 AM

I downloaded and opened and Adobe file today. And then i updated spybot then scanned and found nothing.
But when i scanned with Avg it said
Avg 7.5 detected a Host Change In C:windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts but thats all.
I dont know if the spybot update or if this file i downloaded today caused it, and im very worried. I have a HJT log but im not sure if its a virus yet. What do you suggest me too.
Also so far my computer hasn't been acting weird, but its good to be safe.

Edited by Solanelli, 03 August 2008 - 12:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:52 AM

AVG does not change your HOSTS file but it will alert you that it has changed since the last scan. Although malware can be responsible for altering the HOSTS file in an attempt to redirect your browser, it does not do so without infecting other areas of your system. There are several legitimate security programs like SpySweeper and Spybot S&D which can add numerous entries to the HOSTS file and that action may be detected as a change. If you downloaded and used a custom HOSTS file or made edits that too would trigger a change detection. If you did not make any changes or do not have security programs with these features, then you need to investigate what the changes are.

The HOSTS file should not show as changed unless the user is aware of a program needing a change made to it and is aware that it is being altered. Protection softwares and also Malware's will often change this file so they can affect where a computer goes to on the internet.

This is one reason why the user on this system needs to look at the file to make certain that something didn't change it and if so determine if it is a good or bad change...

General system maintenance can change the file even when it isn't apparent by visual inspection. AVG uses a checksum to compare a file before and after and a minor change or correction to the file could have caused it to appear changed.

AVG Forum: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
AVG Forum: Host file changed
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users