Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Switch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

So i just bought a new board, an EVGA nForce 680i SLi and i seem to be having trouble getting the start button on my case working. The thing is that the power button built into the board will only turn the computer on but the case one won't, and yes i checked and the wires and all that seem to be in place perfectly. Does anyone have any idea how to get my normal case button working?

Thanks,
n0data

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tieron

Tieron

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:48 PM

I am having a simlar problem with my motherboard/case as well. I'm on a Asus P4S800D-X motherboard, and a case that I've used in a previous build. I have all the cables plugged in correctly, and the power button on the case is not working at all. This is the second case in which this is happening. If there is any help on this topic, I'd love to find out how to fix it myself.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

I would double check to make absolutely sure that you are using the proper pins first.

I would also check to make sure that the PSU switch is on and all connections have been securely attached, including the power to the CPU.

If you are sure that you are using the correct pins on the front panel header then try removing the wires to the switch and take a screw driver and every briefly touch the two pins together. If this doesn't work you may have a problem with the board.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Tieron

Tieron

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

If you are sure that you are using the correct pins on the front panel header then try removing the wires to the switch and take a screw driver and every briefly touch the two pins together. If this doesn't work you may have a problem with the board.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I've been trying to figure out how to do this, but don't know which "pins" I'm supposed to be testing. If you could elaborate just a bit on this, it would help me out greatly.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

In your user's manual there will be a section titled something like Front Panel Header, this is what will show you where all the wires from the on/off switch, reset, and LEDs are connected. Double check to make sure that you have your connection made correctly.

The two wires that go to the on/off switch are connected to this header, if you remove these you can take a screw driver and touch the two pins at the same time and remove the screw driver. If you have the correct pins this should turn your computer on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Tieron

Tieron

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:46 PM

Ahh, ok, I thought you only needed to touch one of them. I tried to do that and nothing happened at all. So that basically means the motherboard is dead then, right?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:56 PM

Not really, are you getting any signs of life, LEDs lighting up, fans spinning, the fan inside the PSU spinning?

#8 Tieron

Tieron

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:44 AM

The only light that comes on is the one on the motherboard once I plug in the power cord into the power supply. Once I press the power switch on the case, nothing happens at all. I know the power supply and the case works because I bought a new case for my current setup and am using this case and power supply on another computer i have in the house (I hope that makes sense). It's worked fine for the 5 months I've had it. The motherboard and processor that I'm trying to get to work I've had for about 9 months and never had an issue with it. I wonder if I may have shorted out something somewhere down the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users