Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Installing Java Update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alit82

alit82

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

Hey,
I've had several problems updating my current version of java. I had java 6 update 3. Everytime I tried to remove it an install the new version it would give me an error saying that the package may not exist or be installed properly and to verify installation. I finally was able to remove jave 6.3 but now am not able to install the new version. I downloaded the app and saved it in a file. I even tried the offline bundle and it still will not work. How can I fix this problem. The automatic java update was constatnly popping up asking me to update and then it never when through. I kept getting that error. Now when i try the offline bundle it just says there was an error transfering something. Please help! Also, my computer is 2 years old and has become slow. What can I do to speed it up and clean it out of all the junk i dont need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hi alit82

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Where you get the update from can sometimes make a difference. Get Java 6 update 7 from here

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

and don't forget to remove all older versions.

Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

To speed up your computer, a good free program is WINPATROL
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html
Right click on the Scotty Dog in the system tray and choose 'Display Startup Info'. You will see all the apps that start up at boot time, and disable the ones you don't need. (If you make a mistake, just go back and re-enable them). A good place to check is the StartUp List tab at the top of this page.

It is also a good idea to run an online scan to check that your slowdown is not caused by malware. One I like because it is made by MS for Windows, is Windows Live OneCare scan
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah
Use Internet Explorer and choose only the FULL SCAN box in the centre of the page. This can take hours depending on the size of your drive. Check all the boxes and let it clean your system.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 alit82

alit82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:23 PM

Thank you for responding. I clicked on the link you suggested but still received the same error message. Any other options, please? I've already uninstalled all of the old java versions. My concern is that I could get a computer virus or something similar because java wasnt running properly. That happened to me before. So any suggestions I would appreciate.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:26 AM

A couple of thoughts.

If you are using IE, empty out all Temporary Internet Files and maybe cookies too.

If using XP, do you have at least SP2?

(It is a good idea to go to your Control Panel here at BC, and put in as much info about your computer as you can, then we can have a quick glance there).

You may also find some info here
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/

You can also try this:
To Clean out the Java cache:

Go into the Control Panel and double-click the Java Icon.

Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Delete Files button.
There are three options in the window to clear the cache - Leave ALL 3 Checked
Downloaded Applets
Downloaded Applications
Other Files
Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

Also, if there is no sign of Java in Control Panel >>ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, you can go to My Computer>C:>Program Files and delete any folders relating to Java there. (I have just deleted Update 6 from my computer with another program and there were over 600 folders and 100 registry entries related to that update cluttering up the system, so again I recommend you run the Live OneCare scan).

Edited by rowal5555, 03 August 2008 - 06:05 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users