Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There A Way?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jase_chiu

jase_chiu

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

I need to fix an old Dell Laptop for a friend. Since I am not very good with laptops I thought of asking suggestions in here.

Ok, This laptop don't have a CD ROM drive, Just have floppy drive which is no good to me. The OS (windows 95) is corrupt and won't boot, just stops in the middle with the windows 95 screen and freezes. I don't have floppy disks with windows 95/98. I am not sure how to install a fresh copy of windows 98 without a CD ROM Drive. Is there a way to connect a CD ROM Drive externally?

Any thoughts, anyone????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:56 PM

Connecting it is one thing...getting it to boot is another obstacle. I used to have an external CD-ROM drive, but I don't believe that it functioned without Windows.

A system that won't boot, has Win 95 and no CD...now, there's the challenge of the day :thumbsup:.

Sorry, I cannot think of anything other than using those horrible floppies they had back then for Win 95/98.

Now don't tell us there's no floppy either...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q191054/

Louis

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:48 PM

If it has USB 2.0 or it has the ability in the bios to boot from a USB legacy device (I doubt it since its only running win 95 and has no cdrom) You could use BARTPE loaded on a USB drive and load legacy drivers for an external CD-rom (which would most likely require USB 2.0 also) Not sure if you can put BartPE on a floppy and it would require quite a few. There is also making a Floppy Boot disk you can find images HERE. I haven't tried or had a need to try this so I am flying blind here. Been awhile since I had to do an install without a cd-rom. (thinks back to a 286 0r 386 machine without an ATAPI CD-rom drive)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 jase_chiu

jase_chiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:39 PM

I don't have floppies either with windows 95/98. Could anyone suggest where I could get windows 95/98 and then downloaded into floppies? I think I would need a bootable floppy as well to boot and then reformat the entire drive before installing fresh copy of windows.

Thank you all in for helping out here. Thank you in advance as well. :thumbsup: :huh:

I just hope I can impress my friend. =))

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:30 PM

There is also making a Floppy Boot disk you can find images HERE. I haven't tried or had a need to try this so I am flying blind here. Been awhile since I had to do an install without a cd-rom. (thinks back to a 286 0r 386 machine without an ATAPI CD-rom drive)

Finding a copy of Windows 95/98 will be problematic. You can try and contact the vendor of the laptop for replacements. Or perhaps borrow a cd from someone. You will need the licensing key for the laptop though, since using any other licensing/Cd key that belongs to someone else will violate Microsoft EULA and this forum.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 jase_chiu

jase_chiu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

There is also making a Floppy Boot disk you can find images HERE. I haven't tried or had a need to try this so I am flying blind here. Been awhile since I had to do an install without a cd-rom. (thinks back to a 286 0r 386 machine without an ATAPI CD-rom drive)

Finding a copy of Windows 95/98 will be problematic. You can try and contact the vendor of the laptop for replacements. Or perhaps borrow a cd from someone. You will need the licensing key for the laptop though, since using any other licensing/Cd key that belongs to someone else will violate Microsoft EULA and this forum.

I think i'll just clean up the hard drive with a floppy boot by formatting it. Then take the laptop to the vendor and get a freshly installed windows 95/98.

Thank you for all your inputs. Really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Cheers!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users