Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Reinstall Ms Word 2000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aw9018

aw9018

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

I recently replaced the hard drive in an 8 yr old Dell Computer which originally came with MS Word 2000. After reinstalling Windows and various other programs I tried reinstalling Word 2000 with the original CD that came with the computer but it kept rejecting the product key code from this computer. The same product key code was used to reinstall Windows with the original CD that came with the computer and that was no problem. The OS was Windows ME which was upgraded to xp home both before and after the HD replacement. After the prior OS upgrade a couple of years ago Word reinstalled no problem with the same CD. I thought the software was perpetually avialable for use in the original computer. If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:07 PM

I tried reinstalling Word 2000 with the original CD that came with the computer

Whay CD are you referring to? The Microsoft Office CD or a Dell Recovery CD?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 08:29 AM

The MS Works suite CD that came with the the computer, which says "For distribution with a new PC"(back then you got word in that package, now I think you have to get Office). The OS was reinstalled with a CD labeled "Only use this CD to reinstall MS Windows... on a Dell computer system."

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:31 AM

Your post title said Word not Works. 2 different animals, but none the less if you want an Office suite I suggest Open Office. Totally free and compatible with MS Office
http://download.openoffice.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:41 AM

What I said in my last post was that Word was included in the MS Works suite that came with the computer in 2000. Now I think you have to get Office or Word separately if you want Word. Anyway I have been having the problem described in this topic reinstalling Word, even though I believe the license I originally acquired with the purchase of the computer still entitles me to have it. It is still the same computer but with a new hard drive. Ultimately If I really can't reinstall Word I'll probably take your suggestion and use the word processing software that comes with Open Office, but if I can reinstall Word I'd rather do that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users