Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Get Recovery Console To Work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 varmintjcl

varmintjcl

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

I am trying to make a set of XP backup disc's for my system since Gateway didn't send them with the computer. The Gateway utility failed when I tried to use it when they system was new, so I just blew it off and now I'd like to try to make a set.
I downloaded the Xp recovery console from Microsoft & when I open it the dos window opens & prompts me for the location of the backup CD but as soon as I hit any key it closes the pgm. I opened the dos window & tried running a couple of commands & it works fine with them, but not with the recovery console.
Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

Not knowing what model you have I can't provide you any specifics, but most models include a second partition on the hdd with the information for restoring the OS.

If you let us know what model this Gateway is, we will see what information we can find for you. Alternately, you could google the make and model with how to use recovery partition, this should produce some information on it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 varmintjcl

varmintjcl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

Mine is a gateway 5310S Pentium 4 I've had since 6/2005

back then I tried to run the installed pgm to make a set of XP backup disc's, but it failed on disk 1 and I never contacted gateway like I should have. So now when I try to run the installed recovery media center

to create them it tells me I already used the pgm once & cannot use it again. So the only backup I have is installed on the d side of the hard drive partition and I sometimes have trouble getting it to repair

problems if a file has been affected by spyware or something.

Recently I'm have problems with AVG getting locked up when it gets to a file marked _ISREG#@.DLL and it won't let me close the AVG scan unless I reboot. I thought I'd better try to get a set of Cd's made, but

it may be too late.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users