Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying A Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bexy

Bexy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

Hiya.

I'm not sure whether this is in the right forum so I'm sorry to start with if it is in the wrong place.

Basically, my home PC has seen better days. It restarts at every given opportunity, there are no virus' on it as I've done a clean install, changed hard drives etc etc - I just think it needs an upgrade. However, as I'm struggling with space at the minute I would be considering a laptop to replace it.

I used to use my computer for games but now I only really use it for surfing the net - (loads of pages at once at most times) , playing music constantly - emailing, and creating documents in Word. I create disks for my car, use webcam, and use limewire and utorrent practically all the time. I'm not sure what usage you would call that - but when I'm at home I'm ALWAYS attached to my PC.

I'm not too bothered about the size/weight - cos it will be on my bed or on a table at home anyway. I just want something which isn't going to cause me too many problems and can handle all the programs I run at the same time without crashing and giving me a headache. Of course, I'd love a huge hard drive for all the files I download, but I don't know where to start. I've tried Dell, PC world but I can't really make head or tail where to start. I can find plenty desktop PCs but then I'm back to the issue of space.

Does anyone have any recomendations for me? I'm looking around the 400 max mark at the minute but there is something loads better for a bit extra I would be willing to negotiate.

Thanks in advance all you techies out there :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

I like Dells. May I would like to offer a couple of other observations

imewire and utorrent practically all the time

Probably why your computer's slow

it will be on my bed or on a table at home anyway

You will be surprised how many problems laying in bed will cause. The blanket or bedspread can bunch up and block the vents, causing overheating. Another problem I've seen is damage to the power and headphone jacks from abnormal strain on the plugs. I usually recommend right-angled plug adapters that can swivel to help reieve the strain
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

Ive had good luck and good experiences with lenovo laptops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users