Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet Connection!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aberrr

aberrr

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:29 AM

i am having problems with my internet connection , browser been very slow, run a speed test and it

was always below o.44 so isp sent us a new modem but same problem, we even upgraded connection

from 2mb to 4mb but still slow, wont play any videos on youtube , or peek at cams lol without it

stopping to reload or just dont buffer, i noticed that the enet light on modem when this happens the

majority of the time, flickers fast and when youtube stops or cant load a page n get time out error the

enet is actually out, comes back on sometimes if i refresh a few times, this seems to be an intermitent

fault because yesterday it was great and now today back to the off/on/off/on, even like last night for

example, enet light was on constant but cud hardly load a page without page timing out, is this a fault

down to my isp ?? who says it isnt but their crap, or a fault on my puter somewhere ?? ive recently

re-installed XP PRO and downloaded Attansic L1 gigabit ethernet adaptor so i could get online

because my pc wudnt run isp disc, could it be the adaptor at fault ??
im at a loss grrr! 3 kids and a wife on my back because they cant get on msn! Please Help!!
P.S. ive done the basic checks like: rebooting modem : checking if any other programs runnin : d/c

wireless router : deleting temp files & defrag : disc clean up : etc etc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

What internet do you use?
Have you contacted your ISP?

#3 aberrr

aberrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

yeh contacted my isp ntl/virgin firstly they said it cud be my modem so replaced that but same problem............they say it must be my pc..............im on cable was on upto 2 mb speed but updated 2 days ago thinking that might help....my connection speed seems to change with the wind for like now its fast loads pages plays videos perfect but then i ll restart to let kids do stuff on here and its back to normal slow as hell, wont even log into msn because connection is so slow grrrrrrrrrrrr lol

#4 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:09 AM

Hey aberrr,

ISP's are good at passing the problem back to the customer. If you can get into your modem settings (try 192.168.1.1 } and see if you get a password prompt. It's usually admin/admin or password/admin or some combination of those by default. If you can, look for something called the SNR margin. This gives you an indication of how much noise is on the line (assuming you are on ADSL/DSL and not cable)

Your upstream SNR should be in the region of 5.0 or less.

Your downstream SNR will be higher but both depend on how far you are from the exchange. If downstream is more than 30 AND you are close to the exchange then it could well be a line fault/line noise. This can be caused by a number of things including heavy traffic, radio interference, power lines and so on.

If SNR changes dramatically over a short period then it's almost certain you have a line problem.

I'm not an expert but I argued this with my last ISP and got released from my contract early without additional charges because of it.

If you are on cable then it's a different story altogether and I don't know much about it.

Edited by webrat, 02 August 2008 - 09:10 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:16 AM

Well...I don't know what you did, but you cannot download an ethernet adaptor. That's a hardware item, whether wireless or wired.

How about some info on your system? NIC model, manufacturer...system model, manufacturer. Modem model, manufacturer? Do you use a router?

Louis

#6 aberrr

aberrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

im running XP PRO on a MESH COMPUTER.........INTEL 4 DUAL PRO...P5 MLX motherboard VIRGIN 256 MODEM and yes i downloaded an ATTANSIC L1 GIGABIT 10/100 CONTROL ADAPTOR FROM the major geeks website

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

Modem: http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.ph...p;id=91&c=4

Louis

#8 aberrr

aberrr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

i checked user feedback and googled "virgin slow internet" and found loads of people with same problem, i found this site
http://forums.hexus.net/networking-broadba...being-slow.html
which was just 1 of tens of sites with virgin isp user complaints so guess i will be e-mailing and phoning with my complaint.........thanks for the feedback and yor time guys! most appeciated cheers! Hugh aka Aberrr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users