Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Went On Here?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:46 AM

Hi, while surfing I came across a book called 'Encyclopaedia of World War 2' which then started downloading its 500 pages into my PC without me telling it to; it took about 3 full minutes to download and towards the end of the process a message came up something like- "Running out of virtual memory,increasing size to compensate".
It was a good book but I don't want to keep it, so can anybody tell me if its still on my system somewhere, taking up valuable HD space and/or RAM or whatever? I can't see it anywhere on my hard drive. Did it truly download onto my HD, or did it temporarily roost roost somewhere and vanished when I later switched off my PC?
And has it done anything to my virtual memory (whatever that is) that I need to re-set?
Thanks

PS- here's the link to the book-
http://.scribd.com/doc/526633/Encyclope...eapons?page=198

Edited by garmanma, 02 August 2008 - 08:04 AM.
Broke the link to the book - just in case

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:57 AM

Just a note of caution to anyone reading this thread: Do not click on links that might have problems.

After reading your post I wondered if you might have been the victim of a 'drive-by downoad'. About 1 out of 1000 websites will automatically download stuff onto your computer without your prior approval, or sometimes knowledge. Usually this is to install malicious software on your computer.

However, I went the site with my shop computer, which is perfectly fine for testing potentially dangerous sites and all that happened to me was the book downloaded into a frame on the page. It took about 3 seconds for me before I was able to begin reading the book, the remaineder of the book took a few minutes to finish downloading. (I am using DSL). The book loads into RAM (memory) in the computer.

It seems that your computer does not have much RAM in it. Apparently you ran out of available RAM when the book was downloading onto your computer.

Go to: Start > right click on My Computer > Properties

Tell us how much RAM your computer has.

Typically Windows XP requires 512 MB (1/2 gig) of RAM to run properly, but more and more I see a full gig of RAM is required. It really depends upon what programs are currently running on your computer, as programs load into RAM and run from there.

EDIT: I just noticed I did not answer all of your questions. Yes, when you turn off your computer everything that has been loaded into RAM vanishes. You must SAVE something for it to be saved in your long-term storage (your hard drive).

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 02 August 2008 - 07:02 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users