Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:02 AM

hi all,,,, i want to upgrade my ram, at the moment i have 3gb of PC2-5300 (667 MHz) = 2x1gb and 2x512
i want to upgrade the ram to PC2-6400 (800 MHz).
i know that 32bit os can only use around 3.5 gb of ram but if i upgrade to 4gb of ram = 2x1gb + 2x1gb =4gb,,,, two 2gb matched pair's of PC2-6400,,, will it still run smoothly or will there be adverse effects because of the extra ram that the os does not use.
here are some system specs,,,,

Mainboard : Asus Benicia
Chipset : Intel G31/G33/G35
Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2400 MHz
Physical Memory : 3072 MB PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 512MB 8800 GT (UPGRADED)
Hard Disk : ST3500630AS (500 GB)
Operating System : Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6001 Service Pack 1

i know which ram i need ,,, ie,,, CL & voltage,, im just worried about the 4gb of ram and the os only using 3.5 ish,,, issue,,
thank you all,,,,,,,,,,,,Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:25 AM

A 32-bit Windows operating system will recognize up to 4GB of RAM, but will not show the total amount because of the draw from critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices.

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result in different total memory size. This means that the more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

hi dc,,, i looked this up on m$ site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605
basically what you have said above,
so the 3gb i alredy have in,, this will also give up memmory fo all these features,,, so if i put in 4gb then i will be left with more memmory after all the other stuff has taken its share,,, is this correct ????
or should i just upgrade to 3gb of the faster PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
thanks.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:00 AM

Personally, I would go with the faster RAM and go with the 3GB.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:42 PM

yer,,, i was thinking that too,,, 2x1gb and 2x512,,,,,, cheers for the info dc.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users