Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Rig Randomly Powers Off.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shiftplusone

shiftplusone

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:23 AM

I'm not sure what this could be.
So it turns on, everything sounds great, the typical whirrr's and tickticks of any normal computer. Typical Sounds... then all the sudden "bwoooooo..." followed by various cursing and frustrated sounds made by me.

I literally just built this, and I'm pretty sure everything is just right.

EVGA 790i Motherboard
Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz
Patriot 1333 DDR3 RAM
XFX GTX 280 Graphics card
Caviar 640Gb HDD
Zalman 850W PSU

that's pretty much it. Besides an Arctic 7 or whatever Freezer Cooler CPU Fan.

I'm so confused. The first time it was on, it ran for a pretty solid 10 minutes. Enough for me to check the Bio's for voltages, and everything checks out that I saw. So then I go to try to install Vista x64, and after loading everything and about to install, it just cuts off for no reason. I try to turn it back on, and nothing. so I try again, and it starts up for a good 5 seconds.

The Intervals that it turns on are pretty random, and nothing else weird happens, other than the whole computer giving me the silent treatment.

I dunno what to do! :thumbsup: Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:27 AM

Did you use thermal compound when you installed the heat sink and fan on the CPU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:24 PM

Did you use thermal compound when you installed the heat sink and fan on the CPU?

It had it on there already, but I do have more. Do you think I should clean it and put on my own?

If so, how would I go about cleaning it, I've never had to do that haha

#4 n0data

n0data

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:49 PM

I had that exact same problem recently, it was due to overheating as where the cpu shot from 20C to 100 in about 2 minutes. Clean off the stock paste and put on some arctic silver 5 (make sure not to get any on the cpu pins or the socket) and try that.

good luck,
n0data

#5 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:50 PM

Alright so I just tried it again, and the same thing keeps happening, and I checked my temps in the BIOS and my CPU is running at a constant 53C. I'm going to go ahead and try to use my thermal compound and see if it changes anything, but that just doesn't seem like a high enough temp to shut off a PC.

Any other suggestions while I work on that one? haha

#6 shiftplusone

shiftplusone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

okay so things were going fine for a little while, after I did the Arctic Silver on the CPU, and I even started to install vista x64, but then it cut off again!

And I'm having problems with the way data is transfered to the screen. It'll be kind of scratchy looking, and like pixels are being placed incorrectly. This doesn't happen all the time, but now it seems to be getting much more.

I can't tell what's messing up, so this is very annoying because I don't know where to start. It SEEMS Like a heating problem because after its been on for a while, it just cuts out, then when I try to turn it back on it tweaks again very soon after I turn it back on, if not immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users