Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Restarts Continuously - Win Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:19 AM

The computer specs: Custom built, Win XP SP2, Intel Core Duo processor, 4 GB RAM, and 200 GB HD.

The computer isn't mine, it's my grandmother's.

So the computer displayed an error about the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 then started rebooting continuously. After selecting the user (Owner) at the logon screen, the computer would restart.

I booted into safe mode and disabled the automatic restart after system error. I also went into msconfig and disabled the Logitech startup items. I looked at the Event Viewer and all the errors I could find were related to the Quickcam and MsiInstaller (sp?). These are the errors I saw:

Quickcam
Error Code: 100000ea
Parameter 1: 8a1f1970
Parameter 2: 8a20d0b0
Parameter 3: bace7cbc
Parameter 4: 00000001

It mentioned the Quickcam component: 62BA7C13-20BB-41F7-A6A4-482632CE53D4
Another error mentioned the Quickcam component: B52C7B4D-F46F-438C-ADF2- 5A138C57757
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\Installer\QcDesktopShortcutKey

LVCOMSer was also mentioned somewhere. And there was one error that mentioned SP2 but that may be unrelated to this.

I turned off the computer and then started it again in Normal mode. It reached the welcome screen and hung. I turned it off and grandma insisted I unplug the USB cable to the camera. So I unplugged that and turned the computer back on. That's when I got the BSOD with the following error: nv4_disp - 0x000000EA (08A34E700, 0x8A36F778, 0xBACEBCBC, 0x00000001). At this point I turned the computer off and gave up. Note: the nv4_disp error did not appear in the Event Viewer when I looked in safe mode.

When booting into normal mode, I happened to hear three beeps from the bios, but there could've been more as it was noisy in the room and I could barely hear it. I have no idea what kind/brand bios it is. I also can't remember if I heard the beeps the first or second time I booted in Normal mode.

Grandma says she didn't install anything recently. She didn't use the Quickcam but always leaves it plugged in. Automatic updates is always turned on so it's possible something was updated without her knowledge. I did do a search of files that were modified and/or created around the time the errors occurred. I did not see anything that indicated something had been updated or installed.

The computer repair guy is coming Monday or Tuesday. I was hoping I could get a resolution before then. But if it's too complicated I'll probably just leave it to the professionals.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

I would uninstall (properly, via Device Manager and Add/Remove Programs) the cam drivers and related software. If you can boot into Safe Mode, you can do this from there.

I would also run a chkdsk on the boot drive. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r, type y, hit Enter.

Then see if the system behaves properly.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:48 AM

The error message cites a problem that involved nv4_disp - which belongs to your nVidia display drivers.

This means that the error occurred in the nVidia driver - not that it was the cause of the error.
But IME a large majority (over 50%) of this sort of error are solved by uninstalling your video adapter and drivers (through Add/Remove Programs and the Device Manager), and then installing a freshly downloaded copy from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users