Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Not Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sparves

sparves

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:18 AM

hello

i have a desktop pc running win xp pro that currently is not working at all. I'm writing here in the forum with another pc.
well my problem is i don't know if it is a hardware or a virus malware problem. I had AVG installed and im quite shocked that if it was actually a virus related issue that i haven't been warned. When i turn on the pc this is the message i get "Disk Boot Failure insert system disk and press Enter".
So i took the xp installation cd and tried to use recovery console and then tried full installation of xp i got this same message "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct.This may involve running a manufacturer supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue to quit press F3".

So i have tried almost everything i tried even trying to install windows me but it said it cannot install because "This recovery cd is not for your computer
this program may not be used on your computer.Remove system recovery cd Hit any key to restart".
I didnt make any virus scan rescue disk or emergency disk i have tried searching but didnt find. The funny thing was the night before the computer was perfectly normal til i shut it down and then the following day when i turned on i saw this nightmare.

so i have win xp pro 128 mb ram 40 gb

thank you any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

I would check the boot options listed in the BIOS.

If the hard drive is not the first, your error message would make sense.

If your hard drive is properly listed in both the boot and drive sections of your BIOS...I really don't know. But I would attempt to run chkdsk /r on that partition/drive from the Recovery Console of the XP install disk, it could be a file/disk situation that chkdsk /r can clean up.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

You can download a bootable hard drive diagnostic utility from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive. Read the directions carefully and boot from the disk to check the status of the drive. I find that the quick/short test isn't very accurate on most drives - so I prefer running the long/extended test instead.

I suggest using a test from the manufacturer of your hard drive because the manufacturer will often include features that a generic diagnostic can't access (so you won't get as thorough a test). In the event that your hard drive manufacturer doesn't have a test, you can try either the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test or the Seagate SeaTools.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

Greetings sparves,

I tend to wonder who the manufacturer of your computer is. I'm also going to
take a wild guess and say that it's over 5 years old. That doesn, much matter tho.

I tend to wonder if the manufacturer of the computer provided any diagnostic utility,
but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no.

In most Bios's (BIOS manages the hardware on the system), there is an option to toggle
the the type of checks run when the machine boots up. (these tests are referred to as POST;
or power on selft test) Usually most machines will run a quick set of tests (Fast Boot or Quick Boot)
while you can change this to normal or complete tests.

If you read the screen that first appears when your machines posts, it will display an option to enter
the bios. Usually this is something like the DEL or F2 key. Then, usually you may find this POST/Boot
option on the Boot Options menu or a menu describing features of the board. If you enable to extensive
tests, this may be enough to tell you what's happening on the machine.

As far as testing utilities you may want to download SystemRescueCD at
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

After downloading this CD, you can use something like ISO recorder to make a bootable cd with the file you
just downloaded. After installing ISO recorder, right click on the SystemRescue.ISO and click Copy Image
to CD, of course you'll need a blank cd handy to do this.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/v2.htm

After you have the cd, reboot your computer pop in SystemRescue and off you go. There's plenty of help
and how-to's on the SystemRescue page that describe how to check the hard drive.

One last thing and very important, pop open your computer and make sure this cable is plugged into the
hard drive snugly, as a loose cable can cause the trouble you're describing. You may want to do this First.

Hope this helps.

Edited by RandomUser, 02 August 2008 - 11:24 AM.

#5 sparves

sparves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:29 PM

hello thank you for answering

ive tried recovery console even tried to attempt to reinstall windows but i get the same message "setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer."I had the desktop pc for 6yrs. I think i have probably a boot sector virus and not a hardware problem.Ive never made a rescue disk or emergency disk. So if anyone could help it would be very kind. thank you

#6 sparves

sparves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

SystemRescueCd is a Linux system on a bootable CD-ROM for repairing your system and recovering your data after a crash

#7 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:23 AM

Sparves,

Yes

SystemRescueCd is a Linux system on a bootable CD-ROM for repairing your system and recovering your data after a crash

you are correct in that it is a Linux System to help recover from a crash, and also to check system hardware; such as a hard drive.

I also believe that Hamluis is on the right track with checking to see if the Hard drive shows up in the BIOS. The BIOS is actually responsible
for assigning resources and communicating with the hard drive. So it would make sense then to check the BIOS which is the most obvious
place to start.

You may in fact have had a Boot Sector Virus, which is rare today, although it still occurs. The point here is that a boot sector virus could
delete the boot sector and firmware on the hard drive, which would lead to the issue of the BIOS and Windows, or other operating system
not being able to see the Hard Drive.

The tools available in System Rescue CD such as NTFS-3g (Meant to read a NTFS formatted Hard drive) and Test Disk (Meant for searching
for lost partitions) are the tools that I believe may be helpful to you. The reference of these can be found below;

http://www.sysresccd.org/System-tools

Also, if we find that one of the solutions above, such as checking to BIOS, and trying to read the File System in linux, or Test the mechanics
and Partition Table of the drive with something like DiscWizard or SeaTools shows that the drive is healthy; then we can help you move forward
and determine if the drive is in a usable state. We have to determine if the drive is damaged at this point before we can tell you to format the
drive that may have had a boot sector virus, because Windows is not seeing the drive.

Finally, it's also possible that you're Motherboard HAS Failed or IS failing.(specifically the piece that communicates with the hard drive)
The best advice we can provide is to start where the drive is Seen/Not Seen by the software on the system and by other operating systems,
or Diagnostic Utilities. You could use something like Norton Antivirus to boot your PC and check the disk for errors, but what you're telling us
doesn't make sense until the hard drive shows up somewhere.

If you have any questions, we'll be glad to help.

PS

Usasma and Hamluis are exactly right in their approach to this issue. I tend to provide a slew of options that build upon one another when I can.
Sometimes I provide so much from the get go that it doesn't make sense. I'm hoping that I explain things in a manner that sparks questions
and Ideas about how to continue.

#8 sparves

sparves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:12 AM

hi
i have windows xp fat32 sys. i dont think it is a motherboard failure becuz i had it replaced 1-2 yrs ago by the manufacture.In bios everything shows up normally only in hard drive rather then having name of (ST.....) now it says auto meaning it's not being ditected.I have a blank screen so i have no idea how i could make an antivirus bootable disk to scan for any malware.

thank you

#9 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:40 AM

Possibly this tool, called F-Secure Rescue CD 3.00, may help you.
Access HERE:
http://www.f-secure.com/linux-weblog/2008/...d-300-released/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users