Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asp And Printshop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 elfin

elfin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

I had a new computer built this year with XP. I installed Print Shop 21 on it, a program I had used on the previous computer, an HP also with XP.

After installation, and turning off the computer for the night, when I turned it on the next morning I had an ASP account created complete with password. I also had an 'owner' account, with no password needed.

I have contacted Broderbund with no success. They sent me an email with all the "if you have this, contact this" stuff and a link to ASP and Vista, which I don't have.

I haven't a clue what happened during installation of the program. It never did it on the HP.

The reason I am concerned about it now is that I installed Front Page for building a website. When I opened FP, it said "FP is not your default editor, do you wish to make it so". I did.

Today while practicing in FP, I went to save a new page and received an error message which said in essence, "this folder is either hidden, requires a password or you have entered an invalid character". It dawned on me that the ASP account possibly could have some bearing on this?

I don't have a clue what to even ask concerning ASP since all I know is it is a means of transferring files, if I remember correctly.

If it has a password and I didn't set the password, how will I access it, even if I knew what to do with it?

Is there a way to uninstall it that is safe and won't screw up the print program which I need for labels?

Also, I do hope this is the correct place to post this problem, if not, direct me properly and I'll be glad to comply.

Thanks,
elf

Edited by boopme, 03 August 2008 - 10:09 AM.
Cleaned tags~~bopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:48 AM

Excuse my ignorance but what is ASP?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

Asp is Active Server Pages, as far as I know. It would be oretty much impossible to have an ASP account though, unless one meant an account on a server which would run ASP, but none of that makes any sense in the context of Print Shop.

#4 elfin

elfin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:23 PM

What is ASP is exactly what I asked myself when upon boot up following Print Shop installation, my computer did not go directly to the desktop. Instead, there were two accounts listed. One says:
ASP--password protected or needed, I forget.
The other account says owner, which I click and then my desk top loads.

Prior to installing PS, this was NOT the case.

So--where can I go to find answers for this? Broderbund doesn't give me any answers at all. I've searched the internet and cannot find a thing I can understand.

Do you suppose if I uninstalled PS and re-installed it I could spot where this got installed and stop it?
I'm positive that when I installed it the first time on the older computer, I installed the recommendation option. I usually do unless I've experience with something enough to know what I do and don't want.

I'm at a loss, even though it doesn't seem to be causing problems at the moment, it isn't 'normal' and I want it fixed.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:00 AM

Is there any reason that you can't just go into the user management section under control panel and remove the account?

#6 elfin

elfin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:14 PM

I wasn't sure about removing it, since I didn't know anything about it.

I have discovered this which at least gave me an explanation I could somewhat understand. I say somewhat since I have no personal experience with it, but intellectually I have more of a clue concerning what it is.

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users