Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Start Up Issue

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OfficeVisit

OfficeVisit

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:29 PM

Average end user here, first thanks for the information all of the members contribute to this site. My current issue is with my pc locking up right after it starts. the system will boot up and then freeze, sometimes I get to "loading personal settings" but that is it. I can start up in safe mode and finally figured out there was a system log. This is what it said after a freeze:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Fips
KLIF
Processor

Source: service control manager

I do not recognize these drivers. Any advice??

XP pro, Acer Aspire.

Thanks.

Edited by OfficeVisit, 01 August 2008 - 09:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hi

Have you tried booting to LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION? or doing a System Restore back a day or two?

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

Try doing the System Restore first, if that fails then You could try the Last known good configuration.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Here's something else to try, look in the Event Viewer and see what errors are showing up at the time that this is happening. Each error will have its own date and time shown.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow trinangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 01 August 2008 - 10:16 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 OfficeVisit

OfficeVisit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:32 PM

I have tried to set the computer back to the last good configuration in safe mode to no avail.

the "failed to load drivers" error message was from the event viewer right after the pc locked up.

Here is a log from the hijackthis dowload (got this from other searches). I can't decipher it but I'm sure someone on here has the knowledge.

Edited by OfficeVisit, 02 August 2008 - 07:17 AM.
removed HJT log

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

Now you have an HJT Log, this will be shifted for the experts to have a go at, and you should not take advice from anyone else but them. Pity, coz I had another suggestion, but thems the rules.

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 OfficeVisit

OfficeVisit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:56 PM

I guess I wait for the experts, sorry I can't take your advice, I should have checked "the rules" first. Newbie mistake...

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

Is this log suppose to have been posted already? I don't see your log on the Open HJT Logs list.

Edited by dc3, 02 August 2008 - 12:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:52 AM

Since there's still discussion about the Windows aspects of this problem
And the fact that you'll be asked to provide another log if you do post in the HJT forums.

I decided to delete the HJT log file attachment and leave the topic here.

Should you decide that you need an HJT log file, I'd first suggest that you post over in the Am I Infected forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Meanwhile, we'll continue to work this issue here.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 OfficeVisit

OfficeVisit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:00 AM

Thank you.

I have removed a number of programs that my kids have installed and Zone Alarm. I had the microsoft update issue with ZA and thought it might be the issue again.

I tried normal mode again this morning and was able to get past my personel settings but the pc froze up shortly after loading. I turned the pc back on in safe mode, checked the system log file and did not see any error messages this time.

Could it be hardware related?

#10 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

If System Restore and Last Known Good Configuration do not work, it is always worth trying this -

Click START>>RUN and type exactly: chkdsk /r

Ok, and reboot. CheckDisk can take quite a while but often fixes problems. 
Also, it pays to make an extra trip to Windows Updates and have it check for Express and Custom updates which may be ready for your PC.

Edited by rowal5555, 02 August 2008 - 08:00 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#11 OfficeVisit

OfficeVisit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

Thanks.

I am back in normal mode now. I made some start up changes as recomended (not exactly sure which on worked, should have paid more attention and made one change at a time then reboot).

I ran the Deckard scan and have the HJT log from this. Should I post this over in the Am I infected forum as recomended earlier to see if there is any information that could determine the original cause?

#12 OfficeVisit

OfficeVisit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

Ok, I thought I was back to normal but when I restarted again and logged in the Systems Configuration Utility window popped up. It stated that I was in "selective start up" The following items were checked;

>Process SYSTEM.INI file
>Process WIN.INI file
>Load system services
(not checked) - Load Startup Items
>use original Boot.INI

should I check the "Load Startup Items" and restart the pc??

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:13 AM

I agree with rowal5555, I would run the check disk (chkdsk). There is another way to run this if you are uncomfortable using the command line, here are the instructions for if.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

In your case I would only click on the first option.

#14 OfficeVisit

OfficeVisit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

rowall5555 -
I tried the chkdsk /r from the command line and it gave me the following:
Attached File  chkdsk_window.png   9.21KB   16 downloads

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

This is normal, click on yes and reboot the computer to start the chkdsk.

This will take about an hour, so make sure you have the time to allow this to run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users