Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For Answer...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 s&w1001

s&w1001

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:09 PM

So I am not the biggest guru but I thought I had a decent understanding of Windows until today. A recap of what happened:

I got home, checked my email, locked the computer (as in sent it to the sign on screen), took a shower, came back entered my password and it would not work. Tried it a good twenty times at least and it didn't work. Two things are weird here: obviously the fact that the pw did not work, but second that at no point did windows try to lock me out for entering an improper password many many times.

So I turn it off, turn it on, and it logs me straight in as an administrator. No sign on screen.

I utter some choice words.

Then three Window's install windows open up. I attempt to cancel them thinking its the craziest virus/hijack I have ever encountered. I end up going to task manager and directly terminating them. I get the error report messages for ending each of the three processes. Strangely they are all tied to Logitech by direct name. The only Logitec software I had was tied to a camera that I have not seen, let alone used in over a year. So after that I run a couple virus checks and hijackthis. Nothing shows up. Then I decide to uninstall all the Logitec software, which I do, and then I restart my computer for the changes to take effect.

And thats it. It started up without a problem. Brought me to the sign on screen and logged in under my profile with my password. WTF??

And I forgot to mention, while running the virus check and such I was messing around in the control panel. And then my computer. All my files and I mean all my files appeared to have been removed from the computer, as well as my Windows profile. I went back and checked after I got it working properly to see if for some strange reason all these things were hidden/not visible for the administrator (which would make absolutely no sense) and everything should have been visible from the settings I saw.

Any remote idea what happened? I am at a loss.

-Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

Oh yea: Running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

Two Intel T2500 @ 2 GHz each.

I can't think what else would be relevant...

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

Well...if the system works properly without the unused Logitech drivers/software...and the problems were noted with such installed still...my guess would be that file corruption in at least some of those Logitech files...screwed up your system.

I suppose what I would take away is that...it's wise to remove unused drivers/software for items no longer on the system. Such merely add another possible layer of problems...to a system that doesn't need such.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

You can prevent any leftover Logitech stuff from loading by using this free tool: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

Just look for the Logitech related stuff (particularly in the Drivers tab) and then reboot for the changes to take effect. BTW - from problems that I've had with Lexmark printers, I recommend checking the functioning of all attached devices immediately after the reboot - there's no telling when an unknown "hook" may prevent/stop something from working.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

Alright, thanks. Thanks for the link; pretty handy tool.

-Rob

#6 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

Yikes. I went to open itunes this morning and it says it can not playback anything because of audio/video problem. I guess I'll start checking all my drivers first...

#7 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

Well, all devices under sound, video and game controllers say they can not start because of incomplete or corrupted configuration in the registry. Joy.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:48 AM

Go back into Autoruns and recheck anything that you unchecked.
Reboot and see if it's working now.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:59 AM

i haven't actually used the tool yet. i brought it up but took no action. i'll run it again just to see whats going, but i never took action.

#10 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

I rebooted. Now 8 of my devices are no longer there under sound devices in device manager. Fun. Hard drive failure?

#11 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:11 AM

I'm just going to try a system restore.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

Try running a hard drive test from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
Also, try running chkdsk /r from the Command Prompt. It'll tell you it can't run and will ask if you want it to run at the next reboot. Select Y or Yes, press Enter, and then reboot. Make a note if there are errors found.

#13 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:48 PM

alright, via the restore all audio/video devices are working. had to re-fix a bunch of stuff though, but everything is running fine for now. thanks for the help usasma, hard drive test is next on the list.

#14 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:41 PM

well, i ran chkdsk. Everything was fine. Computer went to restart after chkdsk and got blue screen. Tried running in normal mode, got blue screen again. Ran with last known config and its fine so far. Where can I go to check that chkdsk will not try to run when i boot next time?

#15 s&w1001

s&w1001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

I assume the previous link you gave me is enough?

Edited by s&w1001, 03 August 2008 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users