Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Else Can I Do?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 theparade

theparade

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

I'm very worried about my computer's safety, so I have various computer security programs on my computer currently. Please tell me what else I can do to protect and scan my computer.

Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Free
COMODO Firewall PRO Free
a-squared Free
Spybot Search & Destroy
Spyware Blaster
F-Secure Blacklight

Running XP SP2 + Firefox.

I uninstalled Ad-Aware 2008 because I've heard it is not a good program anymore. Your thoughts? However in the sticky it still says you should use it along side with Spybot S&D. What are your thoughts on it?

What else can I do to protect my computer? (Free programs only)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

There comes a point when, insofar as anti-spyware applications are concerned, the law of diminishing returns begins to apply. Since you seem to be a careful person, and no doubt practice safe surfing and downloading habits, no more than three anti-spyware applications will be all that you need.
The best defence against malware is not an over-reliance upon applications to keep you safe, but to follow best user security practices, and to stay somewhat knowledgeable about the various kinds of malware currently making the rounds.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 GimmickBMX

GimmickBMX

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:25 AM

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/a-squared-anti-malware-35/
free today and tomorrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users