Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Router Disconnects Hourly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hi,

The router my ISP provided has two options USB and LAN. When I connect it using USB cable to my PC, it works fine for around 1 hour. Then the internet stops working. Alternatively, when I connect it using Cat5 cable, the internet keeps working without any problems. I use same network settings when using Cat5 or USB cable.

When it stops working, I plug the USB cable out from computer and then plug it in after few seconds and it starts working again. But stops again after around 1 hour.

I use Windows XP SP3. The router model is Huawei MT882.

I installed drivers that came with the router package, the device manager shows "Texas Instruments Ethernet LAN Adapter" when connected through USB.

Thanks in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:54 AM

Have you tried setting the max idle time to zero for the router?

If changing the idle time didn't work another thing to try would be to open the Device Manager, right click on the Device Manager in the left pane and point to View and click on Devices by Connection. Scroll down the right side pane to Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller and expand its tree and right click on the USB Root Hub and then click on Properties. Click on the Power Management tab and uncheck the box for "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".

Edited by dc3, 02 August 2008 - 04:13 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

I don't know if this has changed...but the earlier models of routers/modems with USB/ethernet alternatives...had two sets of drivers.

On the models that I played with, directions were clear to uninstall the USB drivers when using the ethernet connection...and vice versa.

Louis

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:12 AM

Thanks guys.

hamluis, this router has no such instructions to uinstall drivers. For LAN interface of router I dont need any drivers, only for USB drivers were installed on first time. So I dont know if I have to uninstall something.

dc3, the max-idle time setting is off in the router. I have unchecked the "save power off" option, and testing it if it works :thumbsup: I will reply after testing it.

Thanks again for quick replies :huh:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 09:45 AM

FWIW: http://www.huawei.com/products/terminal/pr.../view.do?id=121

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/deta...driverid=503416

Hmmm...I find it vexing and strange that there is no user manual for this device.

And...I would consider this a modem-router, used commonly to provide DSL to users. That would say to me that Device Manager reflects drivers for this device. I would remove those...reboot...reinstall drivers.

I'd be willing to bet that...if I looked at the CD for installing this device, there would be two sets of drivers reflected. One would be for ethernet connection, one would be for USB connection to system. But that's sheer speculation on my part, since there doesn't seem to be any documentation available for this device that would define things more clearly.

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hmmm...I find it vexing and strange that there is no user manual for this device.

Actually...if you go to the first link that you provided and use the download in the left margin it is there.

The packing list does include a user CD-ROM, but there are no instructions. What they do suggest is this "Note: If there is a need to configure the device in your application, please ask for necessary information and guidance from your ISP."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

Actually :thumbsup:...the first link that says "downloads" takes me to a series of manuals, none of which are the correct model.

I previously clicked on the 880 manual, thinking it might apply to the 880 series...but it's a standalone version of a router with no USB connection alternative.

If there's a manual there for this particular model, I'm much more blind than is already documented :huh:.

Louis

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hi,

I tried to what dc3 had advised earlier - uncheck the setting in device manager. The router works fine now for more than 1 hour unlike before. Thanks dc3 :thumbsup:

hamluis thanks for the helping me out :huh:

btw, I received no documentation from ISP in paper format. there was a PDF file on cd. I got just a box with many cables, router, voltage adaptor and a cd. The cd contained "USB drivers" only. The ethernet interface doesnt require any drivers at all. The cd also had a PDF document about the router which basically talks about features, capacity, how to install, do's and dont's, etc. the first time user stuff.

Thanks again dc3 and hamluis :huh:

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:31 AM

Glad to hear that it's working. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users