Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

OK, so Ive searched this and couldnt find anything solid to explain it.

A few times in the last 3 months (not everytime/random at best) I push the power button on my PC and it proceeds to power up. Instead of Windows XP loading tho, I get a black screen, a blinking cursor and a message that reads this :

Radeon X700 PRO Rialto Atombios

I cant do anything but power it off using the button. Nost of the time I restart it and it works the 2nd time.
Today however I couldnt restart it and get anywhere. I unplugged everything, opened it up, removed my video card and blew the dust off. I usually blow the entire machine out about every other month as maintenence form the dust.
Anyways, after I blew off the V card, I reinstalled it and tried again. No go.

So I left it off for an hour and went to do some stuff. I came back, powered it up and its OK now.

But I need to know why and what I need to do to fix it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PC - Dell Dimension 4400 / P4-1.7 Socket 478 / 1G Mem / ATI Radeon X700Pro Video Card thats 3 years old I bought new / updated power supply / new fans / anything else you need to know as far as Hardware or Software, just ask.

THX, Michel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:58 PM

Normally...the black screen with flashing cursor doesn't result in an error message...and indicates a problem with the MBR.

Worth reading: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-645974.html

I don't know what drivers you have installed...but I think I'd uninstall the ATI drivers currently in and replace those with the ones which came on the CD.

Louis

#3 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

Its the ATI Catalyst program and drivers that were installed B4.
Do you think the Windows auto update had something to do with it. I was trying to think back but cant remmeber if the last update/fix was in relation to the time this started to happen.
What could be wrong with the Mobo?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:18 AM

Well...it's my opinion that no one should allow for WinUpdate to automatically update their drivers.

I say this based on my experiences with ATI drivers being automatically loaded and then screwing up my system. I just go with the original drivers on CD and see no reason at all to ever update something that works better than the updated "one size fits all" Catalyst BS.

I suppose that the newer Catalyst drivers work well with new cards, but I tend to have older models of ATI cards and I don't expect ATI to devote time to ensuring that their newest drivers are backwards compatible with models they have forgotten/removed, etc.

I do resent the fact that they present their Catalyst products...as if "one size does fit all". When, it just ain't so.

If you do Google search for "ATI driver problems" you will get an idea of what I mean.

Louis

#5 Mikz86TA

Mikz86TA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

Hmm.
Well the issue started a few months back but is now more frequent.
The video card and install CD were doen a few years ago. So its hard for me to see a parallel with the ATI software causing issues all of a sudden.
The updates is the general Windows stuff that one would normally get. Like the HotFixes, etc.
I run SP2.
Last update was 7.10.08 and 6.21.08 before that. In add-remove hardware I can see those and ID numbers for that stuff. I usually have to 'select' the updates for install but they download while Im online automatically. Some times I read through them and sometimes I dont.
In add-remove area, IC 3 different ATI programs. One is Catalyst Control Center, one is ATI Decoder and the last is ATI Problem Report Wizard. If I were to remove those (just for sh*ts n giggles) , would my VideoCard operate on the base driver again? Or is that a bad idea??
What other types of things could cause these issues if its not a VCard issue. Most say if the display is there at all, then the card is operating.
Is there a certain part of the MoBo oe a Chpset or whatever that could be the culprit??

THX

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,107 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:10 PM

I cannot answer your speculative questions...I can only provide some measure of my experiences with ATI cards and their drivers. That may not be useful/helpful...but it's the best that I can do :thumbsup:.

I don't reflect an ATI Decoder install or Problem Report Wizard...and I've never seen such installed on either my AIW 7500 or AIW 9600. I just checked and those aren't installed on my Radeon Express 1250 chip either.

Generally, Add/Remove for my cards/chips reflect the driver, ATI Uninstall Utility, and CCC.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users