Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Than One Anti Spyware Program Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oldkrow2008

oldkrow2008

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

The thing is I have many. I have Adaware 2007, I have A-squared free, Spybot search and Destroy, Super Anti Spyware and Kaspersky 7.0 Internet security. Now I know that I should only have one virus scanner and one spyware program. So while all are installed I only use Kaspersky 7.0 Internet security as my primary firewall and virus scanner. I have all the other programs installed but was only using AVG 7.5 free for my live monitoring of spyware.

Here is my issue. I recently uninstalled AVG 7.5 to upgrade to 8.0 Free. I want it to be the one that monitors but when I go to install it it gives me warnings that another is installed and says i should uninstall it before place AVG on. So I'm wondering can it still be a problem to even have the others installed? I have them all in because sometimes one program doesn't catch something while another does. So I have them in to only scan files when I download something or when I think I have an issue. I can see through my HJT log (which I can provide if you like) that some of there componets are running in the background but I have none of them set to monitor except kaspersky 7.0 and before the uninstall, AVG 7.5

The only other that causes me concern is SuperAntiSpyware because I do belive it is activly protecting agains the activex components in IE and in FF. I very rarely use IE.

So should I just uninstall all of them and just put the one I like in? Or is it okay to leave them installed and bypass the AVG 8.0 warning because it will be the onle one I use to do a live monitor? And what about kaspersky 7.0 that is okay isn't because it is my virus protection, which is different right?

Wow, I know that is a lot to take in but help would be great. I have XP pro sp2 with the sp3 update.
LB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

Hi,actually too many can be as bad as none. It will slow things down as it consumes resources. Also some tools will spend all day looking at anothers list of virus' it searches for.

Let's start here are some of these a Paid version?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 oldkrow2008

oldkrow2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:29 PM

thanks for the quick response boopme. Okay, Kaspersky 7.0 Internet Security is the only paid one The rest are free and I only use AVG actively along side kaspersky.The Thing is spybot and adaware catch things that AVP doesn't all the time. I mean really, there isn't anything that does it all. I do use Winpatrol too but that's different and helps me out a lot!

LB

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:50 PM

OK this is good, So keep KAV as the prime AV. It's one of the best and you Paid for it. That said you'll NOT be able to have AVG as the monitor. They will conflict. Uninstall the AVG from safe mode in the Control Panel. Or Vice versa,if that's what you want.
You can supplement with Online scanners as I do. See our list..
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

Spybot is a nice tool too, Do You use the Teatimer application?
I always use SuperAnispyware ,update often and before a scan.,

Also which firewall do you use?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 oldkrow2008

oldkrow2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

I use Kasper as my firewall, I do not use teatime, it bothers me for some reason. I do like the program though. I always thought avg was just anti spyware so never thought it would interfear with kasper, but I really like kasper a lot. It is very strong. So should I unstall all of them, like spybot and Adaware and A square too? I like SuperAnispyware because I can also use it cross ref with their database when looking at HJT active x issues

LB

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

A lot of folks here sat adaware is very bloated, I don't use it so i've no experience. I do like Spyware blaster..see the list.

#7 oldkrow2008

oldkrow2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

That list is great! thanks for the help.
LB

#8 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:28 PM

Upgrade your AVG 7.5 to AVG 8.0 its FREE and there is a payment one, but the AVG 8.0, scans for virues and spyware.

#9 oldkrow2008

oldkrow2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Sam, I had it, but I guess it interferes with my kaspersky Internet security 7.0 So I didn't put it back on. Thanks though
LB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users