Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootmgr Is Missing, But Vista Loads Fine

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hey guys,

My computer running Vista home premium gives me a message at startup that says "Bootmgr is missing. Press any key to restart."

I press a key, and then vista just loads like normally it would! Strange indeed.

Still, i am concerned if this is bad. I don't know if it will lead to a problem someday or if it's just some minor error. How can i remove it?

I tried the install CD repair option, but it didn't fix it.

Thanks, Jason

Edited by SuperTyphoon, 01 August 2008 - 01:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:32 PM

Did Vista come pre-installed or do you have the Vista DVD?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:20 PM

My Vista install is from a ISO copy of my original install disc, which i do not have any more. However, i do have an official Ultimate install disc, which i assume contains the same files for recovery as it has worked for me in the past.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:53 AM

Try running Startup Repair to fix it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:49 PM

None of the startup repair options helped... I'm starting to think that this may be a setting i accidentally messed around with...

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 06:09 AM

That's odd that it didn't help, it's the sort of problem that Startup Repair is supposed to fix.
This sort of error usually indicates that Windows can't find the bootmgr.exe file - which is a function of the boot sector of your hard drive.

Give these 2 articles a try:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...4&SiteID=17
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

I would also try running "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes) from the Command Prompt in the Recovery Environment, then run the "fixboot" (without the quotes) command to attempt to fix the boot sector.

If none of this works, then I'd suggest a hard drive diagnostic (available from the manufacturer of your hard drive)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

Nothing works. I tried the two links, all the steps in them, and the checkdisk. No problems found, but the message still appears and i still have to press a key.

I doubt it is anything wrong with the hard drive though...

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

I doubt it is anything wrong with the hard drive though...

Why not? If there is a programmatic error that can not be corrected, then the first thing I would suspect is a problem with the hard drive. What was the output of chkdsk? You cna dump it to a text file by doing the following from a command prompt. You will have to run command.exe with admin privs for this to work:
chkdsk > C:\chkdsk_dump.txt Carefully examine the generated text file to see if there are any errors listed in it.

As usama already mentioned, it is odd that the standard fixes didn't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users