Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XPPro & SATA

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BlackDog

BlackDog

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:14 AM

Hi Guys n Gals,
Need some help with this -

System.
Mother Board:- ASUS P5S800-VM
Seagate Serial ATA 200gig Hard Drive
Celeron-D 775 3gig
512MB DDR-400
LG Combo DVDRW/RAM drive..

My problem is this

I am trying to install WinXP Pro to a Seagate SATA 200gig HDD,

The BIOS can see the drive - and it appears the XP install can also see the drive to some extent - as XP goes through the usual questions "found drive" " create partition" " NTFS format partition quick/slow" So I have created a NTFS partion which completes OK - setup copies files required to start windows & then I get a message stating that windows cannot find the hard drive the "MOFO" :thumbsup:

any pne else experianced this help greatly appriciated -TIA
BD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

Hm. Did you install SATA drivers? And did you format "slow?"

You should have some drivers on a disk that came with your computer. SATA drivers are usually installed from a floppy, so you can copy them from a CD, if necessary, to a floppy and have it ready during the install. Soon after you begin to run the XP installation, it will ask if you have any third-party drivers to install, and press F6 if you do, then it will ask for the location, tell it the A: drive.

And the slow format in necessary the first time a drive is formatted.

#3 BlackDog

BlackDog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:33 AM

Howdy
Yes I have tried installing the drivers from Driver CD the mobo came with - the drivers on the cd are for the SATA RAID Via Chip Controller it the only SATA driver on the CD that has the OEM.TXT file that XP looks for when you do a F6 load third party scsi or raid controller, the only other SATA driver are in the form of Setup.exe I cant be loded at boot time as far as I know...

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:44 AM

You can find out more about installing Seagate SATA drives here. And you can download Seagate's Disk Wizard here, for installing a first drive or adding a second drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users