Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 98 shut down

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kandice

kandice

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

It says "This program is needed for opening files of this type 'LCK file'

Any body know how I can make this go away? It comes up every time I get to the desktop when I first go online. Thanks, Kandice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:43 PM

Do you have acrobat reader? If not you can download the newest version Here If it still comes up with the error post back and we will go another route

Welcome to bleepingComputers :thumbsup:

#3 kandice

kandice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:27 PM

I downloaded the latest acrobat reader and it still comes up every time I go to the desktop before I have clicked anything. I just uninstalled it and the message is still there. It would be nice to get rid of it. Appreciate your help.

#4 kandice

kandice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:19 PM

My windows 98 on my dell latitude does not shut down properly again.. Occasionally it does ..is there a patch or something I can do? Thanks :thumbsup:

#5 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:29 PM

Here is Dell's latitude Diagnostic's seesm you already have installed! Follow directiosn to get to the dogostic's and follow there recommnedations and post back if anything is not fixed ,,and if not I will send you to a pc diagnoses program that you can post backhere and I will take a look at it

#6 kandice

kandice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:24 PM

Sorry to be so clueless but where do I go for Dell's diagnostics? To Dell's website?

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:38 PM

Here go here...Dell

Downlaod from htp. And let it run!

#8 kandice

kandice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:33 PM

It worked!! :thumbsup: Thank you Brunt!!

#9 kandice

kandice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:29 PM

Going to Dell worked for the windows 98 shut down problem, but nothing seems to work to get rid of the acrobat readers message that says "this program is needed for opening LCK files". I tried uninstalling and installing acrobat reader. the message will not go away whether I have acrobat reader installed or not. :thumbsup:

#10 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:32 PM

Here ya go.. this should work

Click Start and point to Programs.
Point to Microsoft Internet Information Server.
Click Internet Service Manager.
Double-click the WWW Service
Uncheck the checkbox for Allow Anonymous.
Click Apply.
Open the Web in FrontPage.
When the Web is open re-check the checkbox for Allow Anonymous.
Click Apply
In the FrontPage client, on the Tools menu, click Permissions.
On the Users tab, select the radio button so only registered users have browse access.
Click Apply.
When the process has executed, select the radio button so everyone has browse access, and then click Apply.

#11 kandice

kandice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:57 PM

Sorry I cant find microsoft internet information server :thumbsup:

#12 kandice

kandice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:23 PM

that's OK ...it is really no big deal .. sorry to be a problem.. I can just click cancel and it goes away.....thanks

#13 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:33 PM

sorry Kandice I tried to find a solution all points to acobat. Is there a more specific error? In your event viewer?

#14 kandice

kandice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2004 - 01:06 PM

I will try to install acrobat reader again and see... I really appreciate your help..when I first discovered bleeping computer I was ready to throw this outdated Dell with its windows 98 out the window..(seriously!)...and now it works so well. and now it rarely has shut down problems and this acrobat thing is really no big deal! :thumbsup: .thank you thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users