Dell 3000 with XP Home purchased in 05, 512MB RAM, Office 2000, Photoshop & Misc..
The issue is that (keyboard) commands take 3-5 minutes each to execute and some system tools won't launch, like taskmgr.exe or System Restore, therefore troubleshooting is nearly impssible.
Things I've done:
- Despite the PC's slow operation, I deleted the two virus *.exe's and their DLL's in Program Files and ran a real version of Registery Mechanic.
- I deleted the DisableTaskMgr entry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System but taskmgr.exe still returns " Admin has disabled the task manager".
- I set Virtual memory to 512MB.
- I emptied the Prefetch folder.
- Twice I used msconfig to disable all the startup programs and rebooted.
- Repeatedly tried to run Safemode unsuccessfully using F8.
- PCcillian runs but real-time scan can't be enabled.
- I don't have any origional system discs.
- A method to restore XP, or....
- A method to salvage some files, e-mail addressses in Outlook and a bunch of photos on the HDD, and...
- A method to re-install XP.