Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Business Complete Pc Backup Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 slylos

slylos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:32 AM

Hi all - so I've got Windows Vista Business running on a Compaq laptop. It's actually a new machine, 1.8 Dual Core 3 GB RAM 160GB HDD.

So I'm trying to run a full PC backup (Windows Complete PC Backup) and I'm getting an error. I've got a DVD burner and would like to select the "One or more discs" option, but it doesn't display my DVD drive (or my hard drive for that matter). If I select "backup files" it displays my DVD drive appropriately. I've confirmed that I do in fact have a DVD burner.

The error I'm getting is the following:

"Windows could not find backup devices on your computer. The following information might explain why this problem occured:

Catastrophic Failure (0x8000FFFF)

Please close the backup application and try again"

If I hit 'OK' on that dialog, another pops up saying: "No hard disks or DVD drives could be found for saving the backup. Please attach or install a hard disk or DVD drive, and try again."

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I travel a lot for work and would hate to lose my machine on the road with no backups available (a complete PC backup would be awesome since I have a full development environment that would take 1-2 days to restore manually). Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:36 PM

This is a vexing problem and requires a lot of troubleshooting to fix.

Start with checking the Volume Shadow Copy service to see if it's started.
Next, defrag your hard drive.
Next, if you've used any registry tools, use them to revert to a backup from before the time it happened.
Check your Event Viewer for error messages in both the Application and System categories
Go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Let the report run and let us know of any information or error conditions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 12:51 AM

Greetings Slylos,

It sounds like you've put alot of work in to your pc for the purposes of productivity in some
manner. It would be neat to get that all backed up. Let's give it a shot, shall we?

The problem you're having can be caused by background services that effectively assist
Complete PC Back up in doing it's job. Although I don't have the exact answer for you, I think
we can eliminate some possibilities.

First, I want you to hit the Windows Logo key + R which will bring up a run dialog box.
Please type:

msconfig

hit enter, and choose selective start-up on the general tab. Then choose the services tab
and check the box to Hide all Microsoft Operating system services. Click apply. The resulting
list is services that aren't installed by Microsoft. If you know what the services are, you can
safely close them. If you don't know what they are or have any uncertainty about what a service
does, don't take the check out of the box.

Things in services that you can safely disable are those that don't cause the system to become unstable,
such as; The Ipod Service, Realplayer, Adobe Acrobat, etc etc, If you have any software that came with your
CDROM/DVDROM drive, leave that enabled. Also, please do the same under startup, ONLY un-checking those
Items that you recognize as something you installed. You may do some research to determine which objects
to safely disable. We'll revisit this later.

Click apply when you're done here, and reboot your machine. In a perfect world, you can now run your back up
without any issues. However, there are some things I'd like to clear up if possible here.

As Usasma states, check the Volume Shadow copy service and make sure it's running properly. Also, rather than
running a defrag you may want to run chkdsk /x and make certain there are no errors, as this could be causing your
issues. As far as permon, I believe that Usasma is trying to find any bottle necks here and determine if any services
or device shut down unexpectedly. I don't believe that permon will be much help as this seems to be an Transient I/O
issue, and not due to a lack of resources based on what I'm seeing from Microsoft.

I would look through the System Event log and look for Errors with Volume Shadow Copy (VSS), Windows backup,
atapi CD/ROM, service control manager events, and anything else that looks as though it may be related to Windows
Backup. There is a small chance that the error is being caused by too little ram, but changing the settings on msconfig
while we run the back-up, should avoid lack of memory issues.

The reason for checking these things listed above is to help pinpoint the cause of the error and avoid it in the future. For now
run that msconfig thing and reboot your pc. Grab some DVD's, preferrably some TDK or Sony's, and start your complete pc
back up as you intended. If it works as it should, then you'll want to pull up that msconfig again, and click Normal Start up on
the general tab, and reboot, and you're done.

If this doesn't work, or you have questions about any of this, please post your questions. Hope we can help you through this.

#4 slylos

slylos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:28 PM

Start with checking the Volume Shadow Copy service to see if it's started.

That was it! The service was not started, but once I started it, everything works as expected!

This is a vexing problem and requires a lot of troubleshooting to fix.

Not for you apparently, thanks again!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

I'm glad that the fix was that easy!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users