Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disaster!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alba1314

alba1314

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:46 AM

All of my files have been hijacked by Gmail Notifier - I cannot gain access to any program without Gmail notifier starting up instead of program I want to start?!

Have tried to disassociate Gmail via Tools> Folder Options> File Types, but have no luck at all. I cannot gain access to regedit either, as Gmail Notifier has taken over it too! What can I do? Even in Safe Mode, Gmail Notifier kicks in?!

I don't want to reinstall XP again, as I would then lose all my email, which I cannot gain access to. System Restore is also taken over - What can I do??

Please help, ASAP?!

:thumbsup:

Addendum: Cannot get access to uninstaller as Gmail Notifier prog hijacks this too. Trying to open Windows Add/Remove feature results in Gmail Notifier starting up as well.

Edited by alba1314, 17 April 2005 - 06:20 AM.

Cheers,

alba

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:39 PM

Can you try to start up in Safe Mode and uninstall Gmail Notifier?

#3 alba1314

alba1314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:13 AM

To all who replied, I thank you!

As Gmail Notifier had hijacked all apps and progs that I tried to open, it was not possible for me to use its uninstall feature to rid myself of it. Each attempt merely open the Gmail Notifier program. But, it is now 'no more' on my PC.

I also posted my dilemma at Annoyances.org and the solution was found there after Borg replied to my plea for help.

Borg's link led me to the answer/solution. Having followed the 'read this' link, I went thru all the instructions provided, but still could not resolve the problem. That is until I got to the section headed "One Last Thing To Try".

I recreated the .exe extension in Tools | Folder Options | File Types Tab. I then had to open the File Types dialog from any Explorer window (Tools | Folder Options | File Types Tab) and scroll down to where .EXE would be in the alphabetical order and made certain .EXE was not there ( or if it was, then fix it there). Finally, I selected the 'New' button, typed in EXE for the extension and selected the Advanced button. From the list, I picked "Application." I then clicked OK and closed the Folder Options window and, hey presto, control of my machine was restored to me!!

I then made sure that I uninstalled Gmail notifier and - touch wood - all seems to have run well since then!! All my apps have been restored and access to all my programs regained.

Hope this helps anyone who may have suffered the same fate?! I'm off to print hard copy for future reference, should another prog attempt PC hijack?!

BE PREPARED!

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
Cheers,

alba

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for coming back with the fix for that. I wonder if the problem occurred because Gmail Notifier is a beta program, or if it was just a system glitch? We'll probably never know.

#5 alba1314

alba1314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:27 PM

Not sure, Herk.

One thing I can say is that I had very similar problem with ZoneAlarm Free Edition a few weeks ago and had to format my drive again and start from scratch! As the two problems were alike, I would guess it was more something to do with file association (or rather 'disassociation'!) rather than Gmail Notifier being Beta.

If I had the info that Borg put me onto when ZA started hijacking things, I would have known what to do when GMail Notifier started playing games. Hence the reason for a hard copy and another valuable lesson in (computer) life learned the hard way!!

:thumbsup:
Cheers,

alba

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 02:28 PM

Hence the reason for a hard copy and another valuable lesson in (computer) life learned the hard way!!

I've always said that we don't learn anything about computers while they're working, but we learn a great deal when they break!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users