Please download MsnCleaner.zip
and save to you Desktop. (in addition to removing infected files, it will remove certain restrictions on your system often disabled by malware.)
- Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop. (click here if you're not sure how to do this) but DO NOT use it yet.
- Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8. To do this restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A boot menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
- Double-click MsnCleaner.exe to run the tool.
- Click the "Analyze" button.
- A report will be created after the scan and will be saved to C:\MsnCleaner.txt.
- If it finds an infection, click the "Deleted" button.
- Reboot normally and post the contents of MsnCleaner.txt in your next reply.
If you're using Windows 2000/XP, please print out and follow the instructions for using SDFix
in BC's self-help tutorial
"How to use SDFix
". This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.-- When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
-- Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus and any anti-malware real time protection before performing a scan.
When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt
. Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply. Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before
connecting to the Internet.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe
by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.
- Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
- The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well. Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
- Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
- Reboot your computer when done.