From what you describe, it appears to be an infection that uses misleading advertising, downloads rogue security products, changes the Windows Desktop and drops additional malware infected files. The Trojan uses bogus security warnings
and fake alerts to indicate that your computer is infected with spyware or has critical errors
. These rogue programs purport to scan for spyware and then uses false scan reports as a scare tactic to goad you into purchasing one of several rogue programs to fix it.
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
- When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
- When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
- Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
- If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
- Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
- If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
- Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Edited by quietman7, 01 August 2008 - 07:33 AM.