Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Power Loss--new System

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Robertw19

Robertw19

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:11 AM

Just built a new system with an ASUS P5K Pro MB, BFG 9600 GT Video Card, Antec Truepower Trio 550w PS, 4GB Kingston dual DDR2 memory, and 2 identical 750 MB SATA HD's. Everything New.

Everything works fine in startup but I get an unexpected shutdown (no errors, just a switch off) at times when I do certain operations. The first time was before I installed an operating system and was making changes in the bios. I eventually was able to update to the latest bios for the MB.

I was able to install Win Vista 64 bit OS as well as SP1 without any problem. The computer will run all day without a problem as long as it isn't required to do certain tasks, but when I go to some web sites to download some software it may inexpediently shut off. No error message or blue screen ever. It will reboot just fine after that.

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool test and it runs perfect until it reaches 19% complete on first pass then shuts off. No warning or no error. I have substituted two different other new memory modules and the same thing happens each time, so it obviously isn't the RAM memory but the memory test triggers something that causes the switch off.

It would seem the problem is either the Video Card or the Motherboard.

Any suggestions!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:33 AM

I think that you've misinterpreted your RAM situation.

Think of running Memtest...as being analogous to running your computer all day. As the stresses buildup up over time or due to situation...your memory craps out.

I just went through this.

If you want to narrow the problem down, you need to check each module one at a time...then in pairs...then switch the pairs. It can be the RAM, it can be motherboard...it's up to you to narrow the possibilities via testing.

I'd also see if all the RAM module timings are the same, although it seems they should be. In my case, slower timings produced errors (I had a mixture of PC2100 and PC3200).

Louis

#3 Robertw19

Robertw19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I actually have run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool Test using each of the 4 modules that I have as one, two and 4 swithched pairs but I always get an error when it reaches 19% Completed on Pass 1. It seems doesn't seem logical that it could be a memory issue since the problem is consistent regardless of how and which module is configured.

What I don't know is if the Test is also testing video memory. If so it could be the video card, otherwise it would seem that the problem must be the MB?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 03 August 2008 - 05:31 PM

Try using Memtest 86 download the ISO image and burn it to a CD. Reboot the computer and run.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Robertw19

Robertw19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for suggestion. I did try the Memtest 86 and it reacts the same way that the Vista Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool does. THe test proceeds to a certain point and then the machine shuts off. I don't get any errors just a shut down.

I replaced the video card to try and determine if it could be that source but that didn't make a difference either.
I am left with only three possibilites: power supply; motherboard; or processor.

Next I will replace the power supply.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:10 AM

Did you apply thermal paste to the processor? Make sure the heat sink is properly Seated.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2008 - 02:22 PM

I suppose that it would not hurt to verify the proper functioning of the PSU, just to eliminate something. New items do come DOA every day, somewhere.

PSU Testing Procedures - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic149441-15.html

Louis

#8 Robertw19

Robertw19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:25 AM

Renewed paste on Intel processor heat sink. Replaced video card and power supply but still have same problem. Thanks for suggestions..

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:03 AM

Are there any errors showing up in the Event Viewer at the times that this is happening?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Robertw19

Robertw19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:23 PM

No errors show up on the event log....

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:18 AM

Although this usually causes a short from the get go have you checked the copper standoffs for the motherboard? Make sure there in the correct spots and that no exta solder is contacting them and shorting the motherboard. Also do you have another video card you can try? Have you tried testing your HDD you can find the diagnostic utilities here?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 Robertw19

Robertw19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:32 PM

I appreciate all of the suggestions posed by people on this forum. The problem I had started before I even installed the operating system. I am using two SATA HDD in mirror mode. I installed several temperature sensing software products and determined that the problem appears to be high temperatures in the processor Cores as well as the Case. I had previously reseated the processor and made sure that all of the Intel specifications were satisfied. Three of the 4 Core temperatures go over 100C and the Case temperature climbs to 95C even with moderate use of the processor, and then the system shuts off. No errors when the shutdown occurs. Therefore, I have RMA'd the 9450 Quad processor to Intel. When I get a replacement processor I am hoping that this problem can be resolved.

#13 Robertw19

Robertw19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:13 AM

Problem was soley due to the Intel Cooler that never adequately transferred heat from Processor. Installed a CM Hyper TX2 cooler and temperatures are now in 30-40 C range. It works fine.

#14 Robertw19

Robertw19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

Problem was soley due to the Intel Cooler that never adequately transferred heat from Processor. Installed a CM Hyper TX2 cooler and temperatures are now in 30-40 C range. It works fine.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

Feedback appreciate, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2008 - 11:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users