Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Uninstallation Issue!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fababhi

fababhi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:28 AM

I have a dual boot PC with Win XP and Ubuntu.
I wanted to install Gentoo n thus tried uninstalling Ubuntu using all possible options but proved futile.
I decided to format the partition where Ubuntu was installed and did so successfully.
It however has left the GRUB boot loader behind which appears as a command line interface when the system boots up.
Ofcourse, i get the option of choosing the OS as :

Win XP
Ubuntu ( despite formatting )

and when i choose Ubuntu the GRUB appears.

I want to make it a single boot system for now.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks in advance for any sort of aid...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:39 AM

Here's a whole list of ideas, take your pick !

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p18.htm
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 fababhi

fababhi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:23 AM

hey buddy, thanks for the assistance but sadly i havent been able to fix it. i cant match the issue with the solutions on that link or rather i am not using my brain effectively. its the GRUB cmd line interface dat appears, no problem is caused as such but i kind of find it shabby. I learnt that the GRUB creates a separate partition for itself and doesnt get affected if one tries formattin the partition containing Linux.

uninstallation SHUD remove it but as i said the uninstallation options dint work. they juz stayed put when i clicked on them. i cant remove it thru the Boot.ini option in Msconfig as it shows that the boot path is ok.

i am just badly stuck up but want to get rid of it. i guess i can install Gentoo despite the GRUBs' presence but things will only get uglier. pleasee pleasee help...

#4 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:55 AM

Uninstall Ubuntu? Dood, just install a new Linux distro in its place. Allow the installer routing to format your partitions, except for where XP is, of course. XP will stay safe.

Grub does not create a seperate partition for itself -- it goes to the partition you tell it to, use the first partition on your harddrive. Unless you know what you're doing -- you can install the grub boot loader wherever you want.

You're making this too complicated. Install Gentoo and allow Grub to goto the first partition, install it to the MBR and it will overwrite the mess you have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users