Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Introduction For Nathanlv

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NathanLV

NathanLV

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:13 AM

I went to LTI in Pennsauken, NJ to become a pc technician back when 386’s were the new thing.

Due to lack of “skill” as a techie I jumped into “operations” having gotten an associate in it. I did the rounds with DEC mainframes and the type of computer that fills a room (DEC2060). The unit didn’t have any lightening surge protection. I had to pull cards to keep the network from being fried during lighting storms. Rider University in those days was still known as Rider College.

I spent 7 years working for a medical center in central NJ just before “computer operations disappeared on the job map”. I decided I wanted to give it another try with becoming a “pc tech”. I went to Chubb Institute and got a crash course in doing so.

I had an offer from a friend to and relocated with whatever fit in my pickup truck and drove to Phoenix. I networked with a number of people and developed a friendship with a professional female gambler. I had the wheels and she had the ability to win enough to be able to pay our way for a trip to Vegas for a month. Eventually I landed a job during the fourth week of my vacation there and shortly thereafter moved to Vegas.

I lived in Vegas for two years and then decided to change careers. I enjoyed travel and decided to attend a college in Wisconsin for Travel Services. During that time, there was an opening for an internship program with Disney. I signed up and within two months was on my way to Orlando. Disney was awesome (not as much fun as Vegas) but still worth the time I spent in sunny Florida. I moved back to Wisconsin at the end of the internship.

I landed a job with CSC in Milwaukee yet wasn’t able to do the 12-8 shift anymore (previously worked 12-8 for 8 years in NJ). An offer came from BCBS (Blue Cross) north of Chicago so I hopped on their ship and rode it for 18 months. I got a good amount of experience working with them. In fact when I came back to DE companies were offering me 45-55K!

By the time I returned to DE/NJ about 8 years had passed in time. My father developed stage 4 cancer and so I took a break from computers and the working world to assist my parents with dealing with this cancer thing.

In any case, I’m not a total newbie. I have not yet tinkered with Vista Windows, but am sure that will change shortly.

NathanLV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

Hello NathanLV , what an interesting course you've beenn on. Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

Vista will be a challenge, so I hope you settle down and don't move too much.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

Welcome :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users