Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case Filters

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:59 AM

All the reviews I have read on Case Fan Filters usually say one thing; bad product. Due to the fact that it reduces airflow (increaces temperatures), and makes more nosie. Some said after using the fan filters, the tempurtures on MBM (mother board monitor), went red.

Is there any other solution to case dust, other than cutting a new hole in the case. Where my computer is located there is tons and tons of dust, and there is no other place that I can move it to.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:11 AM

If the situation is as bad as you say I would be looking at creating a controlled environment around the PC (and its operator!). Set up some air conditioning duct from the nearest fresh air and put a fan in it to provide positive air pressure at the PC end. Contain the airflow to surround the PC so the PC only draws on clean air and the hot air from the PC is vented into the dusty environment.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:58 AM

My Antec case has a built in filtre in the front, and, if it is kept clean (it pulls out) does not increase any of the temps in the case; the main thing to look for in any filtre is that it is so dense as to prohibit air movement.

You are concerned, and rightly so, about dust shortening the life of your computer. Get a large cardboard box ( larger than your case as space will allow); cut several large air holes in it, go to your local hardware store and purchase a couple of commercial filtres (for a/cs or air purifiers) and tape these over the air holes. Cut some access holes for cords in the box and then cover your case with it. This will purify the air going into your case without causing it to be blocked. (Replace or clean the filters often)

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:16 PM

I got antec's Cyclone Blower, its a fan that sits in a PCI Slot on the case (doesnt plug into Motherboard). What it does, is it sucks air from your PC, and shoots it out a PCI Slot.

The way that it is in my case, it almost looks like it can catch the air from my side panel fan, and blow it out. Hopefully this will reduce dust. I will open it back up in a month or so, see how much it helps.

Heres a link to it:

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77094

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

Thats an interesting solution. Will it allow you to use a filter? It blows air at 22CFM so if that is going out it must be coming in and it seems that would bring a lot of dust.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 11 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

almost looks like it can catch the air from my side panel fan, and blow it out

Remember the idea of cooling fans is to set up air flow inside the computer to dissipate the hot air building up around power hungry components. If one fan sucks air in and another one sucks it straight out again then neither of them are contributing much to cooling the PC.

Edited by Rimmer, 11 May 2005 - 09:01 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users