Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Xp Install, Now What Programs Are Worth Putting On It

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mindnova

mindnova

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:13 PM

What would you put on a fresh Install?

First, I have a dell inspiron 6000 upgraded to two gig ram with windows XP home. I had to do my first ever reinstall. Drivers are updated and all XP and explorer updates are done.

First thing I installed was AVG ver. 8. Then maxtor, irfanview, sandboxie, radarsync, and AI roboform. Also yahoo toolbar with popup blocker and antispy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:42 PM

How about a firewall?

I personally like using Firefox, being a stand alone browser adds a modicum of protection compared to IE.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:49 PM

For me, I like to set up all my "base" programs:

Antivirus: AVG
Antispyware: Search & Destroy/Ad-Aware
Internet: Mozilla Firefox
Burning: Infrarecorder
Unzip: 7-zip

And then I image the entire thing onto a CD, never to be touched until the computer pixies come and start drawing on all my disk sectors with crayon, and when that happens I just wipe the drive (no need to worry about backups, as all my files are on a server), put the disk in, copy it and you have a completely functional OS (well, you have to reinstall Office, but how hard is that?), all in about maybe an hour.

Best way to do things, IMHO.

#4 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:43 AM

And then I image the entire thing onto a CD, never to be touched until the computer pixies come and start drawing on all my disk sectors with crayon, and when that happens I just wipe the drive (no need to worry about backups, as all my files are on a server), put the disk in, copy it and you have a completely functional OS (well, you have to reinstall Office, but how hard is that?), all in about maybe an hour.

Have always wanted to do something like this, is it simple and is there free software/instructions to help do it? Getting tired of going through all the updates over and over. Arrrrrgggg!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:23 AM

I install, in order of attached importance:

a. All critical updates for XP, using the Windows Firewall.

b. Reliable AV program & updates.

c. SUPERAntispyware & updates.

d. Windows Defender & updates.

e. Disk-imaging program. In my case Drive Image 2002.

f. Favorites, email, cookies from previous install or backup.

g. In no particular order: MusicMatch, Cool Edit 2K, Ulead PhotoImpact 8, a card game, Perfect Disk, Ulead Video Studio, Nero, Word, Autoruns, SIW. I disable MSN and Windows Messenger, as well as the Indexing and Hibernation features.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2008 - 02:59 PM.

#6 Abu-Qasem

Abu-Qasem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:27 AM

how about making a Backup for the system.

then install,
realplayer
winzip
winrar
AVG
Internet Download Manager
MSN Messenger
K-Lite Codec Pack - Media Player Classic
MS Office
ACD Systems
Bit Comet
VLC
Nero

GAMES

good luck

#7 mindnova

mindnova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

Have always wanted to do something like this, is it simple and is there free software/instructions to help do it? Getting tired of going through all the updates over and over. Arrrrrgggg!

Actually this is my first time and unless I find a better free program to image the drive I will probably use maxtor w/acronis image.

I also hope I get more suggestions as this looks like a good pinned topic because there is always better free software popping up. I guess the absolute basic would be,

an OS of your choice, firewall, updated drivers and all of the current updates for said OS. "Image" that and you would have a great start.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:08 AM

Outside of the normal protective applications and Firefox, I would not install anything until you actually NEED TO USE it, or know that you will be using it.
For example, if you seldom need a word processor, and don't ever build a spreadsheet or need to make a slide presentation, then installing an office suite (MS Office or OO.o) doesn't make a lot of sense considering the many WPs available on-line (Google, for example has a adequate one). If you never have need for reading a .pdf file, then installing Adobe Reader simply gunks up your hard drive (and there are other, smaller, alternatives to it).
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

I completely agree with jgweed. What programs you want on your computer is your personal choice and requirement. And even then, not all people like same software. For example, I like IrafanView to open image files while my friends thinks its absurd when Windows has a built in Image and Fax viewer. Some people think OpenOffice is very good, while many like commercial Microsoft Office.

#10 Smoothtony

Smoothtony

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:08 PM

What you install is of course left to your personal preferences.

A good site to check for a free imaging program is [post="Good site"]http://www.techsupportalert.com/[/post]

Additionally as far as what to install my personal preference in building new systems is using portable software or as some call it thinstall/thininstall software. Portable or thinstall software is software that doesn't need to be installed onto your PC. To operate the application you only need to copy it to a hard drive in a folder then make a shortcut to the exe if you desire.

Below are a few links where you can learn to make your own portable apps from the software you own as well as links with portable software ready for download and usage.

How to make your own portable/thininstall apps
[post="VMWare's site just click on the how to video"]http://www.thinstall.com/sales/demo.php[/post]
[post="YouTube video on how to with free tools"][/post]

Where to get Portable apps
[post="Just install the portable apps separately"]http://portableapps.com/apps[/post]
[post="Tons of portable software"]http://www.portablefreeware.com/[/post]

Good luck with your new install.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 06:36 AM

I'd suggest making a list of what programs you've got to have.

For me, it's:
Windows
drivers
Windows Update
more drivers
Avast Free (I use Windows Defender and the Windows Firewall)
Firefox
Thunderbird and it's calendar plugin
PopPeeper
Hotmail Popper (last freeware version)
yPops
Microsoft Office/OpenOffice
HostsMan (an automatic hosts file updater)
WallWatcher (a program to monitor my router)
pcAnywhere (for work)
Folding @ Home
Microsoft Virtual PC
Debugging Tools for Windows
my printer drivers

I also create "pointers" to my data stores that reside on a different drive (things like My Documents, my browser settings/favorites, and my email storage). Since my data stores are on a different drive, I can restore my OS without having to worry about backing up my data first.

Also, with a disk image, it will image those "pointers" - so when I restore a disk image I'll be able to immediately access all of my data. So, the only thing left to do is to get the updates that have been released since I made the image.

There are several free disk imaging solutions out there. I'd suggest first checking this thread for recommendations: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I, personally prefer Acronis True Image (about $50 US). It's easy to use and offers many different options (to include creating a bootable recovery partition from an image). I've been using it since version 7 (it's in version 11 now).

Here's a bunch of links that I've collected for freeware solutions (but I haven't used them):
http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml
http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm
http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm
http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp
http://selfimage.excelcia.org/
http://www.clonezilla.org/

Edited by usasma, 02 August 2008 - 06:36 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:15 AM

Well, sticking with the theme of only installing programs your really need, I would like to take it a step further. It is ok to install programs, what is more important, IMHO, is what programs are RUNNING. Usually when you install a program it will automatically program Windows to run it when you start the computer, or at least run an updater for it. Keep these under control, and only run programs you need running.

Start > Run

type "msconfig" (without the quotes) Click OK

Click on the Startup tab. Here you will find a list of programs that start when you boot your computer. Uncheck any you don't want to start when you boot up. (You still will be able to start programs through their shortcuts or by going to Start > All Programs. Unchecked programs just won't start automatically at bootup and won't be running in the background.)

You can Google entries or use the Bleeping Computer Startup Database HERE to research the various startup entries, as sometimes they can be a bit cryptic.

Also yahoo toolbar with popup blocker and antispy.

Well, if you have fully updated XP as you indicated you already have a popup blocker installed. A second one is not needed, really. Also with AVG 8.0 has an anti-spyware element, and so the Yahoo thing is needless doubling up, IMHO.

And regarding popups, personally I would like to see when I am receiving popups because they are not always simply a nuisance. Sometimes they are an indication that you have serious problems with your computer, such as an indication of an infection. Infections, as a rule, are better dealt with immediately, not weeks later when they might be discovered, so given that fact I would like to know right away if I have a problem with malicious software, and remove pop up blockers from my computer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

I'll add a comment to Albert's suggestion about using msconfig for startups.

IMO, a program like Autoruns is a far better tool for getting a handle on all startup items, including those which initiate in the registry. Like any other program, users need to pay attention to the directions/instructions for using Autoruns...as there are various tabs reflecting a number of different data configurations, including one which reflects all necessary Microsoft Windows startup items.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users